Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hey guys i'm new and this be my 87 mk2 jetta gti

+9
ValiantSaint
rob c
jedi16v
re2
Reaver 'Ant'
Mozza
acsa
07jettamk5
Robbie1885!
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

hey guys i'm new and this be my 87 mk2 jetta gti  - Page 3 Empty Re: hey guys i'm new and this be my 87 mk2 jetta gti

Post by jedi16v Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:33 am

Robbie1885! wrote:Well I had my mate ken check over the system and we found that the supply to the fuel pump was only 4 volts and after tracking it back to the fuse panel and found that there was some proppa dodgy wiring running to the pump so we cut it out and bypassed it, and we got a lovely12v supply to the pump. Then I hooked up the pump and plumbed it in, after priming and getting the air out of the system, I had the motor running for the first time in 2 years! But an new problem had cropped up in that it only runs when I hold the airflow diaphragm up and the motor runs lean! The moment I let go it cuts out. I have tried with the whole system sealed and put together but the engine just turns over on starter and doesn't fire! Any ideas? I'm not all that clued up on k-jet, the joys of carbs!:-/
Have you checked the lift pump in the tank yet if thats dead the main pump can't maintain the pressure which can starve it of fuel, with the ignition on does idle valve buzz? take the rubber boot off the throttle body and get someone to press the accelerator make sure the throttle opens fully adjust the cable if it doesn't. it sounds like you've got a big air leak somewhere in the intake
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Back to top Go down

hey guys i'm new and this be my 87 mk2 jetta gti  - Page 3 Empty Re: hey guys i'm new and this be my 87 mk2 jetta gti

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Yeah idle stabilisation value buzzes with ignition on, does the fuel metering head control the airflow meter at all it almost seems like there isn't enough vacuum to lift the airflow diaphragm. Yet there is plenty suck from the throttle body??????? My mind boggles!
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Also the I don't think the sender unit works as the fuel gauge on the dash doesnt work and it did when I fitted the dash!
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:45 pm

and i need a new exhaust, she be blowing like a ba****d and it sounds like a tank. am looking at getting a whole new system from the manifold back and figured i'm changing it may aswell go stainless with a 4 2 1 downpipe. i've found alot for mk2 golfs, will one of these work for the jetta?
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jettameister Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Robbie1885! wrote:and i need a new exhaust, she be blowing like a ba****d and it sounds like a tank. am looking at getting a whole new system from the manifold back and figured i'm changing it may aswell go stainless with a 4 2 1 downpipe. i've found alot for mk2 golfs, will one of these work for the jetta?

the only different between golf and jetta is the trunk
the exhaust has got longer pipes at the end, the rest is the same

Jettameister
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:45 pm

is it just a cause of adding an extra length of pipe between the mid silencer and back box? and also which is the baest brand to go for? i'm kinda swinging between jetex and scorpion?
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jettameister Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

toledo TDI
jetta 16V small bumper
jetta 16V big bumper

this is the golf one

that's the different between the exhausts
no idea which brand is the best

Jettameister
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:02 pm

Robbie1885! wrote:Yeah idle stabilisation value buzzes with ignition on, does the fuel metering head control the airflow meter at all it almost seems like there isn't enough vacuum to lift the airflow diaphragm. Yet there is plenty suck from the throttle body??????? My mind boggles!
Did you check to make sure the throttle body is opening fully is still sounds like you've got a bad air leak or the metering head is duff, check all the little vaccum pipes for splits and also the rubber boots on the metering head and the throttle body. There isn't an air flow meter as such because the ecu doesn't control the fuelling
scorpion are obsolete for the jetta you could use a golf system and the have someone like powerflow or any custom exhaust place extend the tailpipes so they look like ones in jettameister's pics
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:58 pm

Well if I open up the throttle at the the same time as lifting the metering head then the engine revs up as long as I keep them both even so I think that rules out the throttle body! I'm gonna pull apart and clean and rebuild the whole system tomorrow just to make sure! Figure it can hurt! Cheers for all your help bay the way! :-)
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:25 pm

a slightly wasted day today. mainly down to me being a cheb end and chasing a none existent earth around only to find out i learn to plug connectors in properly! Embarassed so once i had sorted that out i moved onto the lift pump and sender unit. i found that it had had the 4 pin connector cut off and replaced with this
and these had not been plugged into the right points so after i had plugged them in properly the fuel gauge started working again. Very Happy but as jedi16v had said that the lift pump might be tits i checked the supply and then thewiring to down to the pump and then the pump which as it turns out isnt working! Crying or Very sad
here is the piece of dodgy wiring that cause the whole headache is the first place
and then the headache that came for fixing it is that yes the engine runs but it only runs like this
with the srcew driver holding the air meter open like this the car sits a idle nicely and like i said in my last post if i lift the airflow meter at the same time as opening the throtle the engine revs, but i can only get the engine to start if i hold the the airfloe meter open!
and an oil leak,
and i notised that the CO adjustment screw is missing! all of this is making me think that there is something up with the airflow, still the answer alludes me!
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:48 am

There should be a clamp with an M8 bolt over the bung in the block thats probably why its leaking, if your co screw is missing it will never run right as the co level will be miles out, try and avoid starting it till you've changed the lift pump as it doesn't take long to kill the main pump if it not getting enough fuel a new one is about £25.00 either off ebay or eurocarparts etc
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:44 am

Could the missing co screw be the cause of it not starting?
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 am

that and the lift pump these need at minimum 5.5 bar of fuel pressure to run and you'll struggle to run right under that pressure
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:15 pm

Well on closer inspection turns out that the CO screw was there I just wasn't looking close enough, still all a learning curve!:-) so next on the list is a new lift pump which will hopefully( touch wood, fingers crossed) sort the starting problem. But that's gonna have to wait for pay day! Damn budget! Along with pay day I will also be getting a pattern panel for the boot sill and rear wheel arch and the hole in the engine bay, and depending on money I'll be stripping and replacing the brake lines, pads and discs as the guy ken that got the wiring sorted mentioned that the lines especially have seen better days! I also need to start finding out how much it's gonna cost to have the alarm sorted out and replaced as the central locking is run by itso I can't lock the doors at the mo!
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:47 pm

managed to blag the afternoon off and figured that the jetta deserved a bit of a pampering.
so after a wash down and polish...................................................................
see who said that you cant polish a turd?lol, sahme the boot filled up with water!
does anyone know of a good polish for the polished wheels?
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jettameister Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:59 pm

well done

Jettameister
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:04 am

Nice work really coming along now, theres an early rear bumper with the chrome trim listed on ebay at the mo if you're still hunting would key in nicely with the grill and rims
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by ValiantSaint Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 am

jedi16v wrote:Nice work really coming along now, theres an early rear bumper with the chrome trim listed on ebay at the mo if you're still hunting would key in nicely with the grill and rims

Yeah. please buy them, then you can chuck me your old (big) bumpers! (As I'm looking for a decent set) Very Happy

ValiantSaint
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Well mine look alright but I've hadto do some work on the front cause the mounting brackets on the side were broke but are alright now and on the rear one there are acouple of burn marks off some welding I've done, I'll post some pics of the rear tonight if you like they pretty much just need a freshen up.
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by ValiantSaint Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:52 pm

Cheers Robbie : )

ValiantSaint
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:25 pm

heres some phots of the bumpers....................................................................
the burns on the back bumper are pretty superficial and as the bumpers need A refrurb they should come out.
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by ValiantSaint Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Cheers for the photos, Robbie. How would you suggest how to go about refurbishing them? And how hard is it to repaint the coloured part of the bumpers?

ValiantSaint
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:36 pm

i havent done it myself, but have read up on it and its basically the same as any other body works. a good clean, masking up, a good key using wet and dry or emery cloth, a few coats of primer and a few coats of top coats. i think that there is a one coat spray but i dont know what its called. i guess that any dents and scraps can be worked out with sand paper and filling with the right filler. could be dont right in a weeked, its one of the jobs i was saving till after the mot. but if you dont wanna do all of that eurowagens do big fronts and big rears are always popping up on ebay.
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:59 pm

Afternoon all, a quicky update. I managed to source up a new back box for the exhaust a steal at £40 me thinks! I've also replaced the left pump which is now running sweet, but the added pressure in the fuel system highlighted a crack in the fuel pump housing so I pulled it all apart again and fixed it up best I could with a soldering iron! Not perfect but will do for the short run, if anyone happens to have one lying around that's in half decent condition and wants to shift it I promise it's going to a safe home!lol! So with the fuel system all back together I thought I'd see if she starts but she doesn't!:-( she fires on the starter motor but doesnt run when you stop twisting the key! How very frustrating!lol! Any suggestions would be as always immensely appreciated!
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Afternoon all again!:-) another quickie update on my last quickie update!:-/ after my last post I decided to check the sparks(2 birds, 1 stone) to check for fuel and also to check for sparks, defo had fuel and and sparks but found a random triple spark in there so swapped all of them for a spare set that came out my mates mk4 and are in good nick! So that done I started to turn her over with my foot down to the floor and after acouple of seconds she coughed to life and revved to 3500, and sounds as though she asunder furling so I let off on the throttle and when she hit 1500 sounded as though she's over fuelingand when she hit idle she fluttered as though trying but then cut out! This has me thinking that maybe something is sticking ad the rate of fuel and air are not matching and this is backed up cause as I bring the revs down at around 3000 rpm she sounds as though the mix is perfect. But as to what is causing this I'm stumped, I don't think that it could be the throttle body as the revs come up and down, which leaves the fuel delivery side of things.does that make any sense? I will be eternally grateful for any help! Very Happy
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next