Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hey guys i'm new and this be my 87 mk2 jetta gti

+9
ValiantSaint
rob c
jedi16v
re2
Reaver 'Ant'
Mozza
acsa
07jettamk5
Robbie1885!
13 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

hey guys i'm new and this be my 87 mk2 jetta gti  - Page 2 Empty Re: hey guys i'm new and this be my 87 mk2 jetta gti

Post by rob c Tue May 10, 2011 12:53 pm

Regarding the locking wheel nut, i have got a couple of extractors that get them off without the key etc, it does cut into them so wont be useable after, but it should get it off... I am local too if you wanna give it a shot (give me a pm if you want Smile )

rob c

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-10-25

Back to top Go down

hey guys i'm new and this be my 87 mk2 jetta gti  - Page 2 Empty Re: hey guys i'm new and this be my 87 mk2 jetta gti

Post by Robbie1885! Wed May 11, 2011 2:38 pm

yeah that would be great, i'm not back for another couple of weeks but i'll pm you when i get back if thats cool? as for them not being usable, it isnt a problem i just want them off!lol!
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:09 pm

well well well, what an eventful couple of months it has been. in between going away with work and snags finding parts the mighty jetta is starting to progress at a pretty good.
right where to start from, first of all i couldnt get a welder so the wheel arch and boot are still pretty shitty but i did go at them with a wire brush on a grinder and cleaned the rusty bits up then treated them and primered them up, just waiting on a welder.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

i also went to fit the new strut top mounts on the front suspension. i started with the drivers side which when swimmingly i even give the coily a good rub down and it came up pretty well

all was going well until i started doing the passenger side and noticed this!

which kinda wasnt really what i wanted to see but it did give me an excuse to buy these
and as the old wheels didnt go with the nice shiny new coilies i had an excuse to buy these,
more on them in abit.
so whilst i was waiting for the new coilies to arrive i re wrapped the wiring looms for electric windows and the crap(i'm still not working so martin cant lock my doors) alarms and refitted the centre console and passenger side dash trim, followed by the seats.
there has been loads of other little jobs that i have been dealing with as i'm sure you all know they just keep popping up.
thanks to jedi16v i finally managed to get my hands on the replacement fuel injector lines and i also cleaned up the newish injectors
i'm just waiting on a replace pump and accumalator as when i removed the housing this awaited me
thats about all i have time cause harri potter is awaiting. more to come tommorrow.
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by ValiantSaint Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Nice work getting the Jetta back up and running, mate. How hard is it to swap big bumpers for the smaller ones? (And are they expensive?)

ValiantSaint
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Well I've looked around and as you'd expect the front bumpers are ten to a penny cause they are a straight up swap off a golf aslong as you make sure they come with the bumper iron but the rear bumper is much more difficult to find. If you check out eurowagens website they have just about everything fron full bumpers to the bolts for the front apron they just dont have jetta rear bumpers! eBay or ask on here in the parts wanted, that's were I got the injector lines and front grill. Hope that helps and happy hunting.:-)
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by ValiantSaint Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:24 am

Robbie1885! wrote:Well I've looked around and as you'd expect the front bumpers are ten to a penny cause they are a straight up swap off a golf aslong as you make sure they come with the bumper iron but the rear bumper is much more difficult to find. If you check out eurowagens website they have just about everything fron full bumpers to the bolts for the front apron they just dont have jetta rear bumpers! eBay or ask on here in the parts wanted, that's were I got the injector lines and front grill. Hope that helps and happy hunting.:-)

Cheers for the info, mate. It's just I'm looking to "restore" my mate's Mk2, and it's had it's wheels nicked, so when the thieving beggers dropped it on it's brakes, a plastic paint tub got stuck under the rear bumper, thus wrecking the bottom of it. The front big bumper's not much cop, either.

ValiantSaint
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:22 pm

nightmare, i hate dickheads like that. what wheels were on it?its literally just the rear bumper that has made me put changing over to smalls on hold for the time being.i have everything else waiting in the garage.:-/
right where were we?
well as you can see as hard as i tried i couldnt get the hoses off the accumualater, in fact no amount of wd40 and elbow grease could shift them so i found a half decent one on ebay and am just waiting on delivery.
all the dash gauges are back in and working and the electric windows are back up and working with the exception of the passenger rear window which was working but packed in the ghost will hopefully just need some adjust to the runners. its just the electric wing mirrors that i cant get working and i have no idea how to wire in the horn to the new steering wheel as it wasnt wired in to the old one.
without the momo boss
the boss
the new wheel. i was gonna go for a wood trimmed one but i couldnt find one, i used to have one in the mini clubman van i used to have and have wanted another ever since.
does anyone have any ideas for wiring in the horn?:-)
so when the coilies did arrive after a couple of weeks i couldnt help myself and this happened
the rears where in a pretty bad way.
which brings us nicely onto my new wheels which came with brand new tyres all round and i got them for a steal. bbs rm's with 9j rears and 8j fronts toyo 195/50's and a sexy little stretch on the rears
hey guys i'm new and this be my 87 mk2 jetta gti  - Page 2 DSCF0681
just changing the wheels has totally changed the look of the car and i'm well happy i talked myself into buying them, they look even better now the eibachs are on at it and it sits alot lower
the new early grill that looks good with the big bumpers but will look the daddy when the smalls go on
when i got the car back from spain the first thing i did was replace all of the gear linkages as the old linkages was fucked and not even attached but even after that i wasnt really happy with the play in the gear stick when jedi16v and simeon pointed me in the direction of the TSR linkage
and once fitted,
not only does it look good but it tightened up the gearstick to the point of it feeling like a brand new car and i would highly recommend this set up to everyone if the linkage is feeling old and worn. well worth the £45.
well thats about it really for now i was gonna take so new pictures of the new stance as it was dark when i finish adjusting the height on thursday and my old man robbed my camera to go holiday with. hopefully when i next update the engine will be purring like a stranged kiiten but purring none the less. and suggestions on an exhaust? i wanna whack on a 4-1 and go stainless but not sure what brand is good to go for?

chat to ya all later

Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Awesome progress bud, glad your pleased with the linkage
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:21 pm

jedi16v wrote:Awesome progress bud, glad your pleased with the linkage
walked away from the laptop for a moment and my son clicked on send lol! theres not much too choose from exhaust wise other then jetex, supersport systems or a custom built one personally i'd avoid the supersport as i've heard too many bad stories about them with a 4-2-1 theres TSR's at £290 or Hottuning on ebay sell one for £175, I've got a secondhand tsr one on mine pretty pleased with it watch for seized studs when you're removing the old one though
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by ValiantSaint Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:03 pm

My friend's Jetta had 7X15 inch Dezent E "Hyper Silver" wheels on it. Gits.

Just how hard is it to fit the TSR linkage, mate? My mate's Jetta's gearbox is like stirring treacle at the moment, and it needs a refurb badly.

Also, where can you get a new bar that fits between the gear knob and gearbox? (I had to cut it down quite badly when I had the motor, as it wouldn't hardly go in gear!)

EDIT: Good work on yours, BTW : )

ValiantSaint
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:15 pm

its honestly a piece of piss to fit the linkage. the old one just pops off on after undoing the clips at each end and bthe news ones go on the same way just with a pin instead of a clip. it took maybe 20 mins to do it can just be a pain trying to pull them off. ive seen the whole setup including the gear stick and the shift bar but i havent seen just the bar. if your gonna pull it all apart its worth changing all the bushes for new ones. give it an hour or 2 and it'll be changing gear like a new car. and all in it should be less that £100 to do it and you can get all the parts off ebay.
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by ValiantSaint Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Robbie1885! wrote:its honestly a piece of piss to fit the linkage. the old one just pops off on after undoing the clips at each end and bthe news ones go on the same way just with a pin instead of a clip. it took maybe 20 mins to do it can just be a pain trying to pull them off. ive seen the whole setup including the gear stick and the shift bar but i havent seen just the bar. if your gonna pull it all apart its worth changing all the bushes for new ones. give it an hour or 2 and it'll be changing gear like a new car. and all in it should be less that £100 to do it and you can get all the parts off ebay.

Cheers. Do you suggest changing the bushes first, or just go for the TSR linkage instead? (trying to save money, you see.....) Is there any links on how to change the bushes? I've been told is a bit of a mare to do......

ValiantSaint
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:37 pm

i'm not to sure about any links, i just got dug in and and figured that if i can pull it all apart then i can put it back together. Very Happy the only buish that was a right ba****d was the one that the rod you cut down sits in just behind the engine but once that was grease up and in the rest were easy. if you get the full linkage set then you dont need to go for the TSR set but honestly the difference it makes is worth the extra out lay.
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by ValiantSaint Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:49 pm

I've found this link on VWVortex.com:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It does look like something that's way out of my league, though (I can do a basic service and bodywork, but that's about it)

EDIT: As that kit's for a Mk2 Golf, would it be the same one for a Jetta?

ValiantSaint
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:06 pm

yeeh just about everything on a jetta engine wise is the same as a golf. where abouts in the world are you?
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by ValiantSaint Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm in Cambridge, Robbie. A bit too far away from you, I fear!

ValiantSaint
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:02 pm

that is a bit of a mission like. id say just have a go yourself it really isnt all that hard to do you just need to get good access to the underneath of the car.
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by ValiantSaint Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Robbie1885! wrote:that is a bit of a mission like. id say just have a go yourself it really isnt all that hard to do you just need to get good access to the underneath of the car.

Why do you have to get to the underneath of the car, Robbie? Is it easier to get to everything from under the car? (As in that link I posted, most things were done under the bonnet, as such)

ValiantSaint
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:59 pm

it just makes gettin to the bush that the shift rod sits in, the big orange one thats in the first pic of the link.
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jettameister Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:56 pm

very nice jetta you got there !
with OEM leather interior affraid
I like !

Jettameister
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:45 pm

cheers boss, apart from the wheels i have to say that i love the interior.
a quick update, newish fuel pump arrived today i checked it over and although worn i had a circuit going though it but only on a multimeter and so i went ahead and plug it in but alas when i spun the key nothing happened couldnt hear or feel anything, so i packed in and figured that id ask you guys and see if any of you have run into the same sort of problem? now ive changed the, fuse, relay, and now the fuel pump(although not for new Neutral ) and i've been through the wiring best i can and it all appears to be sound which has kinda stumped me.
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:54 pm

If you've put a meter across the plug for the fuel pump and theres 12v there with the ignition on you've either got a duff pump or a wiring fault, check the coil earths are all intact and try a spare coil if you can irr it plays a part in the circuit fro the pumps, was the relay new? also have you checked the lift pump in the tank its normally that failing that takes out the main pump
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:48 am

Well I had my mate ken check over the system and we found that the supply to the fuel pump was only 4 volts and after tracking it back to the fuse panel and found that there was some proppa dodgy wiring running to the pump so we cut it out and bypassed it, and we got a lovely12v supply to the pump. Then I hooked up the pump and plumbed it in, after priming and getting the air out of the system, I had the motor running for the first time in 2 years! But an new problem had cropped up in that it only runs when I hold the airflow diaphragm up and the motor runs lean! The moment I let go it cuts out. I have tried with the whole system sealed and put together but the engine just turns over on starter and doesn't fire! Any ideas? I'm not all that clued up on k-jet, the joys of carbs!:-/
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by leon10tagg Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:16 am

Nice looking project......the rims have given me a few ideas.....

leon10tagg

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie1885! Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:25 am

I do love my wheels, but I fear that keeping them that blean an shiney may turn Into a labour of love. Am thinking of so borbet a's for winter rims!
Robbie1885!
Robbie1885!
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next