Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me

+32
cacadoodledoo123
shinsean_jetta
1272_el_ex
07jettamk5
t-jett
dubbed_up_daz
PAB
Dirtydubber
maccadub
popeye
vwtom
theMAINman_one
Mr T
vdub_shawty
Onos
jedi16v
jon jon
Mexican
veedal
Foolish Boy
samthejettaman
venturbo
vwchaz
disco
Untitled
slammedub2007
vardo
manzi
Reaver 'Ant'
trampdrifting
Andrew
steveb
36 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me - Page 2 Empty Re: MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:32 pm

Im lovin it mate the work in progress report is superb
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Number of posts : 2583
Registration date : 2007-03-05

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.net

Back to top Go down

MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me - Page 2 Empty Re: MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me

Post by steveb Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:51 pm

Hate this cold dark time of year, car has sat there for two weeks now without being touched and i cant get enough light or warmth to get back into it, however i ordered a few connectors for the headlight looms oem ones from vw so the loom will just click in and out should i need it to, which i have ready, and im going to order all the wires of tinterweb this week so the colour of the looms all match. then ill refit the front end.

at the moment im deciding weather to replace the thermostat and remove the bypass valves, then get the dash out and fit a new heater matrix while im at it all

hate the bypss valves there shite might see how much the none bypass hoses are to replace the valves instead of using copper
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:57 am

again another empty update, all ive done so far is worked on my hadlight loom. looking good butnot that interesting lol, still, will get my rallye grill back from the body shop any day now so hopefully will be something to report before too long!
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:03 pm

Right been doing a bit here and there over the last few weeks regarding wiring up my rallye grill wih new relays and stuff, most of the pics are about the wiring so pobably not all that interesting but here you go away.

so i decided i wanted to do the loom right and use all the proper connectors with no need for splicing wires together or soldering stuff on, just factory looking looms. I also wanted to get the wire colours as close to OEM as possible which was ok for some things but not for others.

so there are the connetors i got from VW:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

i also had to buy all the crimps and connectors that go inside these. vw only did them with wiring preattached so you could solder the pre attahed wires to an existing loom etc which i didnt want as i wanted it to look perfect.

so i managed to get them online, the ones for the rallye connecors wernt cheap either lol!

so i put the connectors together with the correct wires to create the relay loom. the idea of the relay loom with the correct connecors is, i can clip my loom into place and if i ever remove it i can just un clip it. mainly because when i took my old loom out of my old car i had to cut things and solder things and it was a mess where as with this i can put it all back to standard in about 5 mins, also the wires are one length from the headlamps back to the relays as i got all the vw connectors and cripms no soldering or splicing was required, on my old loom i had to splice my relay wires to the origional connections which left parts of the loom with electrical tape wrapped around the connections and so on, this was messy and i wanted to avoid it Smile

Here are the connectors in place on the passanger side headlamp:

Drivers side:

How ive routed the wires:

and this is a closeup of the rallye connector, as you can see the wires go through a rubber seal right at the bottom of the connector to stop water getting in. however rallye headlamps dont have sidelights powerd through this connector they have a seperate connector (see above) and on this connector there is a hole for the side lamp wire, so i filled the side light hole with silicone sealent to stop water getting in. i also did this on the side light connectors as i didnt have any rubber seals for these. should stop the connections getting damp anyway! again look at the above pictures and you cann see where i have put the silicone sealent:

This is the relay holder:

pretty water proof and tidy.

This is the fuse box for it:

This is what is yet to be finished, i have left these wires full length so i can cut them to the correct size once on the car, these are the wires that will connect into the origional looms for the headlamps fog lamps and side lamps:

Here is the slampanel and headlamps i tried to run the wires as neatley as possible so they couldnt be seen from the front or above and they were tidy and out of the way

And finally here are some shots of the grill attached to the car, think it instantly gives the car a meaner and more modern look

obviously there is quite a bit to do yet to get the car back together, just wish this weather would ease up alittle when im off work ! sorry about the pictures here but the camera isnt so geat in the low light.

steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:52 pm

had a day off today so heres Another boring wiring update lol

started with this

ended up with this

fuse holder

nice and neat

woo we have light!

was hopeing i was gonna have the front end back on today with radiator etc, but ran out of light at 4oclock so managed to get everything but the fog lamps wired up, maybe if the weathers nice on saturday i can finish it then
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:58 pm

got a bit more done today, finally fixed the front end on and got the bumper on, wired up the fog lamps with a few issues from the passanger side one as the connector was iffy but again canabalising the origional fog lamps eventually sorted that out.

now ive just gotta fit the radiator and fan, then i can drive it to he body shop, might need to look into booking it in!
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:40 pm

so here are the latest pis, all taken in rubish light but you get the idea.

rallye grill fitted

Im not convinced about the aftermarket bumper yet, doesn't fit right, i will see when i bolt it all up properly, otherwise might just get one from vw.

I think it will also look much beter then the 16v splitter is on it and its painted. however grills all done and im pretty pleased wih it! again a bit too dark to have a good look but whenever i have the camera and the suns out ill give it a wash and get some proper picures. also not to sure about the silver indicators, thinking about getting some smoked ones now as i think smoked suits the colour far more!

heres another of the front and some of the new lighs on the back

steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:53 pm

ok took some more pics today in slightly better light however the car is filthy, also bolted the front bumper on properly to see if it leveled it up which it did hurah, so got in touch with my sprayer today hes gonna come look at it tommorrow morning however he doesnt think it will be done in time for ultimate dubs :S but ill get a better idea about that tommorrow and let reaver know. so then i took some bits off that needed coming off for the sprayer all i can say is thankyou reaver or andy for copper-easing the rear bumper bolts because they came off so easy and last time i tried on another car i failed miserably lol. took the rear bumper off as its being replaced, and thought id take all the plasic off wih all the other bits on the back so i could see the condition underneath. glad to report muddy but fine lol

here they are anyway

here it is finally moved out into the sunshine, at this point the bumper wasnt bolted on right and obviously the 16v spliter on the botom of the bumper isnt attached so looks a little wierd.

like this pic from the back, just imagine if it wasnt covered in rain sreaks and other dirt, also shows the lights looking great

here it is from the side

funny angle

front

rear

here i bolted the front bumper on properly (going to have to take it off again to get it sprayed lol

looks alot better tho, starting to look how i want it

ok heres where i took the stuff off the back, can anyone tell where the spoiler was?

cant wait to here what the sprayer says tommorrow tho! just want to get it ready, i hated taking stuff off it felt like a step backward.

also now im stuck with my leather seats do i fit them or do i keep the nice grey one already in they are really nice bar it nees a new drivers base seat as it has a hole and my leathers look a little tired sometimes.

not sure what to do, but got plenty of time to make up my mind.

also my other two dilemas, do i weld up the hole for the boot lock as i did on my other jetta as there just so so so easy to break into and i have a lot of audio stuff, or do i leave it stanard, also do i remove the spare window whiper hole as its all getting sprayed anyway... hmmm
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:13 pm

WOW mate shes coming on beutifully im lovin it just glad she eventually went to a good home Very Happy
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:54 pm

cheers mate, just been quoted £1000 - £1200 for the paint job to removeall chips scratches and dinks.... its going in, in about 2 weeks :S

expect to see this beast on the show and shine afterwards Very Happy
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:25 pm

well since having the quote done thought id better get my arse in gear getting the car ready, so i decided to take all the plastic arches off today. usualy all that waits for you is a series of big rusty holes. decied to do it all properly firstly i took the arches off by drilling the rivet heads off, then i got a bucket of hot soapy water and scrubbed inside all the arches with a big bristly brush and when i say scrubbed i mean my arm is nearly falling off however if you look behind the wheels now and up into the arches they are all spotless lol not something id normally do but thought id do it properly ready for the spray shop. ps the arches themselves are almost completely rust free, the odd tiny spot at the bottom which has made me very happy. cant believe how clean they are

didnt manage to do all four tho still have one to do took me from 10:30 - 5:30 to do three wheels :s so you can see i spent some time lol. a friend of mine came around and helped by sanding down the inner bumper bar for the rear bumper and pained it with an anti rust treatment. gonna spray it with hammerite later in the week.

still it is all looking good will get some pics of the inner arches later in the week.
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:24 pm

forgot to add some pics i took yesterday after i cleaned it, i know im getting obsessive with all these pics but hey Very Happy

was already taking the car apart here so you might notice some trim missing.

why does it look so cool with no bumpers and stff on the back?

steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by slammedub2007 Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:01 pm

i like it with no bumper mines got no bumper either since i ripped it off across a bumpy field Evil or Very Mad
slammedub2007
slammedub2007
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Some extreamly boaring pictures of how much scrubbing i did the other weekend, actually not that much but all the arches came up just as good so im really pleased, never done anything quite like this before, not usually one for cleaning lol.

put a smile on my face tho how tidy it was underneath and how after removing the plastic trims the arches were 99% rust free and perfect, have never seen a mk2 quite like it when the arches have been removed lol and ive cerainly seen my fair share of horrors lol

heres what i was faced with last time i removed the arches from my old jetta not prety...

here is the finished internal bumper bar, should help it last a little longer if nothing else

intirior stripped out a little more head lining gone it was craked into pieces so when i removed it it just fell apart so glad im replacing it.

steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:20 pm

looking at the picture above, the foam stuff stuck to the roof, is this mainly sound deadening ? or does it have another purpose? im wondering weather to replace it with audio sound deadning what do you think?

i was thinking about adding a little more sound deadning into the car anyway to redue road noise so would just do it at the same time.
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:36 pm

i think it is just sound deadaning if i remember rightly it prevents any sound from the roof as sound travels straight through a mk2 roof
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Untitled Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:15 am

that just took me like a half hour to go through and read it all...... really detailed love it.... can't wait to see it more along the way of shining.....
Untitled
Untitled
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:48 pm

test fitted some mk3 style handles today, much nicer to use, i was unsure at first but the more i look at it the more i think actually they look really nice. wont post any pics now untill after the paint (if it ever happens lol) except of the car being taken apart, at least then a few things might be a suprise at the end.

still no news on when its going in but opefully it will be soon!
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by disco Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:23 pm

its coming on well wish i had as much dedication as you but i cant be bothered
disco
disco
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by vwchaz Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:51 am

Nice love that colour they are quite rare I think, I went to donny for mine but it came from cheltenham :S
vwchaz
vwchaz
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://www.myspace.com/vwchaz

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:31 pm

lol i went quite away for my second one cant remeber what it was called but was a good hour and a half the first 16v we found in stoke which was nice lol
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:43 pm

not long now

steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by venturbo Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:58 pm

WOW!!

Just found this thread and spent hours reading through it. I have to say mate your doing a fantastic job to a car that really deserves to be loved and cherished. I wish i had your time and patience Smile
I think now im an old man enthusiasm slowly dwindles away.
Will be watching your progress from now on and keep up the GREAT work Wink .

venturbo
2.0 TFSI - 200ps!

Number of posts : 961
Registration date : 2007-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:23 pm

Mate the project is coming along REALLY well, both me and Reaver have emotional attachment to this car and you are doing what we both would have done if we had the time or CA$H!!!!!

Looking forward to the post spray pics.

Andrew
Admin

Number of posts : 1072
Registration date : 2007-05-08

http://www.vpcuk.org

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:31 pm

got a few things ordered off ebay im really excited about, however everyone else here would just shrug lol

however should be getting some mor epics tonight hopefully so watch this space!
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next