Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jetta MK2 coupe project

+7
dubbed_up_daz
manager056
Reaver 'Ant'
jettamk2
t-jett
popeye
jettamk2coupe
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jetta MK2 coupe project Empty Jetta MK2 coupe project

Post by jettamk2coupe Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:39 pm

My Dutch project, imported a 1990 Mk2 coupe from Holland and in the process of converting to RHD and implanting a 20v turbo from A3.

It's going to end up in original colour (Royal Blue) and sat on polished Azev A's, coilovers. Interior is dark grey cloth from Corrado VR6 (will one day be recaros when i can afford it!), corrado dash, engine management will be Qpeng running a ko3s turbo, somewhere around 230BHP mark.

It's just passed MOT and i'm just in process of doing the mountain of paperwork needed to officially import it and once it's registered let the work begin!!

PS If anyone wants the luuuuurvely spoiler let me know lol!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by jettamk2coupe on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:43 pm; edited 5 times in total
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Jetta MK2 coupe project Empty Re: Jetta MK2 coupe project

Post by popeye Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:03 pm

click on forum on the main page, scroll down to members cars then the sticky icon, scroll down till you find the link that reaver put on for photobucket.good luck. took me a while scratch
popeye
popeye
Staff Member

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2008-03-09

http://ron.bremner@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by t-jett Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:10 pm

Sounds like a great project. Look forward to hearing more and seeing the pictures. When are you hoping to get it all done by?
t-jett
t-jett
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:44 pm

t-jetta-stare wrote:Sounds like a great project. Look forward to hearing more and seeing the pictures. When are you hoping to get it all done by?

The original plan was for E38 2009 but a mate is getting married early August so i've promised him that it will be done by then for the wedding convoy as there will be a convoy of various VW's in the wedding convoy. I'm hoping to get it done earlier than that but funds are a bit tight at the moment as i've got a few cars to sell to unleash some capital! So if anyone wants a 1982 Mercedes 230CE pillarless coupe with genuine 42K 95% concourse let me know!!! Exclamation
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:30 am

I've sold the merc so got some ££££'S IN MY POCKET! Jetta has passed it's mot and docs have gone to dvla for registration (it will be a G reg). Started to get the engine out, i've got a week off soon so i'm going to really hit it hard, strip out all original running gear, dash and everything lhd, convert to rhd, fit corrado dash , g60 brakes, maybe prep for paint but we'll see. I've got a busy few mnoths I reckon!!
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:36 pm

jettamk2coupe wrote:I've sold the merc so got some ££££'S IN MY POCKET! Jetta has passed it's mot and docs have gone to dvla for registration (it will be a G reg). Started to get the engine out, i've got a week off soon so i'm going to really hit it hard, strip out all original running gear, dash and everything lhd, convert to rhd, fit corrado dash , g60 brakes, maybe prep for paint but we'll see. I've got a busy few mnoths I reckon!!

Sale fell through so still skint!
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2 Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:44 am

sounds lik its gonna be a very very cool car.....rather quick aswelll Smile love the coupe jettas....when ive got some money together im gonna start searching for one in germany or holland (lhd dosnt bother me tho cus im used to it)

sounds like a lot of work, but itl all be worth it Smile
jettamk2
jettamk2
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:17 pm

jettamk2 wrote:sounds lik its gonna be a very very cool car.....rather quick aswelll Smile love the coupe jettas....when ive got some money together im gonna start searching for one in germany or holland (lhd dosnt bother me tho cus im used to it)

Cheers! I just hope I can find time to do it, I just want it finished asap but funds are tight at the mo! Need to sell a couple of cars to fund it! I

If you're looking for a coupe (or any euro vw) try [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that's where I found mine, there's a good variety but the language is a problem, luckily my mates brother lives out there and speaks fluent and did all the groundwork for me! Everything else was pretty straightforward, just hired a trailer, booked ferry and job's a good un!
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2 Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:13 am

ye...ill have a llok at that site when i strt looking for one (otherwis ill end up gettign one beforre i can afford it lol)

ye wudnt be a problem for me bringin one over, got a trailler, and know holland pretty well...will be in the new year yet tho....
jettamk2
jettamk2
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:27 pm

quick update, jetta now taxed, mot'd and uk registered, just starting the strip down now ready for paint, having whole car done including door shuts and engine bay so it's going in the paintshop literally as a rolling shell, same colour though (royal blue). Gearbox is off monday for a rebuild, need to order clutch and still trying to source a Ko3s turbo, been chasing a few but up to yet had no luck, it's so annoying when you've got the cash to buy!!! Was supposed to be collecting one today but the guy sold it from under my nose even though i offered paypal deposit and arranged to collect today, gutted!!! So if anyone's got one lying in their garage and needs some post xmas cash let me know!!!!!
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:23 pm

Started to remove drivetrain today as I had a few hours spare but before I got finished, the cold got the better of me, took a few pics, sorry about the quality but you can get the general idea.

I've included a pic of old ko3 turbo next to shiny replacement ko3s, also is the poor old donor A3 quattro that is now rusting in pieces in the great scrapyard in the sky.

I've had a slight change of plan, I was originally going to use loom and ecu from a3 but now opting for Qpeng stand alone management mainly for laziness! It means the respray will take a back seat for a while but such is life, at least it should start when I turn the key for the first time!!

Anyway I'll keep posting progress, it will be slow until the lighter nights start coming as evenings are the only time I have to work on it as my 2 kids have first dibbs on my weekends!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Ant on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited picture links)
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:13 pm

can anyone tell me why my pics are displaying as links not pics?!
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by popeye Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:36 pm

copy the IMG code, then it should work for you
popeye
popeye
Staff Member

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2008-03-09

http://ron.bremner@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:00 pm

Edited bud Very Happy
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Number of posts : 2583
Registration date : 2007-03-05

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by manager056 Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:30 pm

jettamk2 wrote:sounds lik its gonna be a very very cool car.....rather quick aswelll Smile love the coupe jettas....when ive got some money together im gonna start searching for one in germany or holland (lhd dosnt bother me tho cus im used to it)

have a look at this Wink [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
manager056
manager056
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by dubbed_up_daz Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:58 pm

royal blue is such a nice colour,nice work

dubbed_up_daz
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:47 pm

dubbed_up_daz wrote:royal blue is such a nice colour,nice work

The colour's one of the main reasons I got it, had a couple of golfs in royal blue and it's always been my favourite, ashame really as the respray's going to be the last thing I get done as funds are really tight, same old story with these builds! Trying to source a n/s wing and bonnet in royal blue at the moment, rare as rocking horse dung!
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:44 pm

Ant wrote:Edited bud Very Happy

Thanks for that! What was I doing wrong? scratch
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:08 am

i nicked my big bumper from a royal blue jetta back in about 2002ish hadn't seen the colour before and absolutely loved it
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm

I'm now at one of those undecisive points....... scratch I was planning to convert from lhd to rhd, i've got everything to do it but i've started to talk myself out of it mainly due to time issues. I'm worried i won't ever get it finished, the main problem is my missus works all weekends so I never get much time to work on it as i've got the kids all the time.

What should I do, be lazy and leave it as lhd or bite the bullet and convert to rhd? Question Question Question Question

I keep thinking it would be so much better rhd but then it will be so much easier lhd! What I don't want to happen is it never get finished and ending up on ebay as 'unfinished project'!!
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by PAB Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:13 pm

Keep the faith.... focus and breathe deep, Go for right hand drive if you've got the bits. I used to run a left hooker Mk1 jetta, great car but such a pain when you wanted to pull out and pass things, even getting round parked buses was a no no!
PAB
PAB
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:03 am

Go for the RHD conversion bud like PAB said youll get more out of the car on UK roads if your on the right side otherwise youll be kickin yourself that you never did
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Number of posts : 2583
Registration date : 2007-03-05

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dubbed_up_daz Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:05 am

ive been building my coupe for 14 years mate,theyre never finished lol. Id probs go for the swap,much easier in the mk2 i hear

dubbed_up_daz
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:37 pm

Ok, decision made, rhd it is then. I'm just going to have to take a week off work and really hit it hard. The winter hasn't helped much though, at least with the lighter nights coming now progress should really pick up. Thanks for advice / support guys.
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2coupe Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Managed to get a bit of time on the jetta today so cracked on with removing dash, dash loom, fuse box, engine loom, heater box and master cylinder. Looking at it , it's not going to be hard at all. There's a recess where the steering column comes through the bulkhead so all i've got to do is cut that out central with a 40mm+ holesaw, the master cylinder is a bit more complex but i'm just going to make a patent from a rhd mk2 golf in my mates yard (luckily it has master cylinder already removed so shouldn't be too hard to make. I had a pleasant surprise when I got the dash out, the steering column support bracket is bolted in a mk2 so it's only a case of unbolting and rebolting to r/h side, when I peeled back insulating foam on the r/h side of the bulkhead, the holes are already there all drilled and tapped so that's going to save me some work, nice work vw designers! Very Happy

If anybody wants a LHD dash for anything let me know!!!! lol!
jettamk2coupe
jettamk2coupe
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next