Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MK1 Jetta 2.1 8v - ongoing project

+15
PAB
Foolish Boy
wiggy
popeye
manzi
samthejettaman
mrrawle
turnerhutch
veedal
Andrew
dubbed_up_daz
jetta 16v
steveb
Reaver 'Ant'
jettadan
19 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

MK1 Jetta 2.1 8v - ongoing project - Page 4 Empty Re: MK1 Jetta 2.1 8v - ongoing project

Post by manzi Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:54 am

you goin on stand? i'd have to put your name down if so, so that reaver can confirm who is on due to the way the tickets and info packs are goin.

if not, do you know anymore info than us?
manzi
manzi
Staff Member

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

MK1 Jetta 2.1 8v - ongoing project - Page 4 Empty Re: MK1 Jetta 2.1 8v - ongoing project

Post by jettadan Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:55 am

Well, I *might* be on the Club GTi stand in front of the tyre testing circuit on saturday and have a pass for that, but no idea whatsoever for sunday!

If its not on the actual Club GTi stand, then it *might* be on one of the amalgamated regional stands, if there's free space, but to be honest i havn't really got a clue untill i get there and see what space is available - you can tell i've organised this well can't you!!!

My main plan is to try and get on the strip as early as poss on saturday to take advantage of the cheaper runs before 10.30am and then have as much fun as possible on the tyre testing circuit in the afternoon. Thats saturday taken care of anyway.

Tyre testing circuit is being run by someone else other than CGTi on the sunday, so no idea what i'm gonna do with the car!!!

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2007-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by wiggy Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:03 am

Hi mate thats awesome pics but what i want to know is if u donate the mk 3 pale would u sell me the 15" steel wheels Question bounce
wiggy
wiggy
2.0 TFSI - 200ps!

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Not quite sure what you mean regarding the MK3 - are you on about the G60 steels that are on the Vento? If so they'll be removed before it gets sold so don't worry!

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:34 pm

Few pics to update:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These bits:

Added to this:

Make this:

One 02A with Quaife 6 speed kit and Peloquin diff. Many thanks to Mart (Hotgolf) - top bloke.

Also picked this up, unused Kent 285* cam, for £75 at Tatton on Sunday:

Which of course, needs fitting in this:

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by veedal Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:19 pm

That look's like the world's most complicated jigsaw!
If i was putting that together their would be a lot of 'spare bit's'left scratch
Look's good m8,i'd love to have a proper track car.
veedal
veedal
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2007-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:18 pm

Pics from Leeds Fest the other weekend:

Car just gets used at the weekend, then parked up and left till its needed again, probably the following weekend - poor thing gets no tlc at the mo at all. Monday we decided to go to the shootout at York Raceway, so left at 7.30am to meet Sam and Dale, which quickly turned into a rescue mission:

One and a half hours of frustration later, we managed to refit one of the bolts for the turbo which was virtually impossible to get to at the back of the engine, and left for York. My car's not made for motorways, so an hour of 80mph coughing and spluttering at 4k rpm later we arrived (me with a headeache) and i signed on. Sam didn't as he wasn't allowed to run in the VW class. First run on normal wheels i did a 15.21 quarter, which dropped to a 15.08 on my second run. I then fitted some slicks to the front, and promptly did a 15.42! The tyres were a bit old and hard, so didn't grip too well. Next run, i did a decent burnout before the start, and dropped the time to 15.00 and then another 15.08 with a recorded 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. I decided to do one more run, and with a bloody long burnout managed a 14.87 with a terminal speed of 92mph.

Dead happy with the results, and now gives me a proper benchmark to work from. Got friday off work to get it ready for E38 - if i get my RS in gear, it'll be back on coilies before i set off.

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Foolish Boy Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Its all coming together nicely, def be coming for a poke around on the weekend.

Sams car was obviously making a protest about not having enough power. In comparison to a nuclear sub.
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 476
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 am

Sam took me for a spin on saturday and i've never been in anything so fast in my life! The acceleration is amazing, and you reach a ton soo quickly its dangerous at times, proper scary. We overtook 4 cars like they were standing still, and from about 30 it passed 100 in seconds.

Shame he didn't bother to run it after all the hassle in the morning, but he wouldn't have got that many runs in as he would have had to go with the RWYB lot whereas the Golfs and Pugs got to line up seperately.

With just the 460bhp its mental - can't wait to see what its like with the 75 shot of nitrous, which will increase to 150 once he's happy its all working OK.

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:14 pm

Few more pics.

Firstly from York - pics courtesy of Daz again - waiting for scrutineering:

The boot was full of tools and wheels!

Ready, steady:

Go!

Trying to get heat into the tyres:

Prior to E38, finished a bit earlier on the thursday and drove back to Blackburn from Kendal, then spent the evening refitting the rear coilies. Firstly when i dropped the car back down i couldn't get it off the jack, so had to wind them up a bit so the car would move!!!

Friday saw me spend the morning/early afternoon refitting the fronts. I also had to replace a knackered balljoint (after maybe a thousand miles!) and my balljoint extenders also found their way onto the car. Wishbones are nice and level now - i'd like to invert the steering arms next to match. Job for over winter. Front is as low as it can go, as previously.

Geometry wasn't too far out so decided not to mess and just gave the car a clean and then left for E38. I think it sits quite nicely - i've lost the rake it had previously and now its nice and level and you can't get your finger between the rear tyre and arch.

Couple of pics i've found of the car - i didn't take any as was a bit rough on saturday and it lashed down on sunday so didn't bother getting the camera out:

I've booked my place on the CGTi sprint at Curborough in a couple of weeks, and then i think the car will be coming off the road over winter for a few tweeks.

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:33 am

I love this car, and it is quite quick too! I would expect it to me slightly quicker though?

Andrew
Admin

Number of posts : 1072
Registration date : 2007-05-08

http://www.vpcuk.org

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:58 am

Andrew wrote:I love this car, and it is quite quick too! I would expect it to me slightly quicker though?

It should be a bit quicker when its running right and has been tuned - the exhaust lobe for number 1 cylinder has worn very badly which makes it run rough, and of course its running on digifant management which is crap!

Plan is to remove the engine and box over winter, give the head a once over and fit the cam i've sourced, check the bottom end and fit a new oil pump; fit the Quaife box and some other associated bits and then possibly re-wire it all as i've got a spare G60 management and loom lying around which is easier to work with than the digifant.

Out on the open road you'd be surprised at how nippy it is at the moment Wink

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:14 pm

jettadan wrote:
Andrew wrote:I love this car, and it is quite quick too! I would expect it to me slightly quicker though?

It should be a bit quicker when its running right and has been tuned - the exhaust lobe for number 1 cylinder has worn very badly which makes it run rough, and of course its running on digifant management which is crap!

Plan is to remove the engine and box over winter, give the head a once over and fit the cam i've sourced, check the bottom end and fit a new oil pump; fit the Quaife box and some other associated bits and then possibly re-wire it all as i've got a spare G60 management and loom lying around which is easier to work with than the digifant.

Out on the open road you'd be surprised at how nippy it is at the moment Wink

I expect it would be very quick when rolling afro

I think when it's well tuned you should get low 14's and break the 100mph barrier. Although I imagine it is better as a track day tool rather than a dragster. Either way, I defiantly would! lol!

Andrew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:06 pm

Little update after the weekend. Had a couple of days off work at the end of last week to play catchup, so managed to sort out a set of wheels and matching tyres ready for the track day at Curborough on saturday and spent a bit of time messing with the suspension and brakes to get it ready for some track action.

Saturday saw an early start, meeting Sam, Rick and Phil at 6.30am at Charnock Richard services for the 120 mile trip to Curborough:

I borrowed my Dads car as he thought there was somat up with the van, and took the trailer which we'd spent friday messing with, making it a little more user-friendly by fitting a new tilt for the bed which consisted of a modified BMW jack!!!

We got there in good time, despite three sat-nav's doing their best to get us lost, and got ready for some track action:

Phatty caught me fiddling:

And here's a few i've found that others took of me. Giving it beans round the last bend:

Giving it too much beans into the first corner after the straight:

And my favourite pic:

And a vid someone took:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And finally, on the way home:

Had a great day, probably the best all year. Was a really chilled-out, relaxed event and enjoyed chatting to loads of people. Managed a best time of 30.07secs which was pretty good so very happy.

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:45 am

Amazing stuff, love your car. You should get a pic up on the calender thread!

Andrew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:47 am

Andrew wrote:Amazing stuff, love your car. You should get a pic up on the calender thread!

Cheers Very Happy

Booked onto the next Club GTi track day at Donnington on 23rd November.

Also got 5th fastest time at Curborough, which i'm pretty pleased with Cool

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Few more pics because everyone loves pics Very Happy

Fixed the broken gear linkage and just need to play with the suspension before Donny.

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:16 am

Ohh, doesn't time fly! Donny is this sunday and i've not had time to touch the Jetta this past few weeks. Got the rest of the week off but i'm just going to give it a once over as if i start to mess too much i'm sure somat will go Pete Tong and i'll be buggered for sunday!

Doesn't help having to work outside on the street either......hopefully i'll get rid of the silver shell soon and then i can take the blue one off the road over winter to fit the box and give the engine a freshen-up.

Anyone wanna buy a shell with a fancy cage in it Crying or Very sad

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:08 pm

Few borrowed photos to brighten the place up a bit Very Happy

Wet start to the day:

Three-wheeling:

It can get lonely out on track:

Amusing Dale:

Where's everybody gone?:

Follow-my-leader:

Car went really well and had an ace day. Its currently being used everyday (well, actually its broken and i'm stranded in the Lakes!) and the bus is still with Rob - headgasket needed replacing due to some dodgy previous maintenance so is away being skimmed before its all put back together properly. Clutch and crankshaft end seal also to do and the PAS pump has been replaced, thermostat fitted and auxiliary water pump replaced.

The ups and downs of motoring eh Wink

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:54 am

Love Donnington, my local ish track!

Glad the car went well Very Happy

Do you want a JOC calender [last one left] featuring your car?

Andrew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Neutral

Shocked

Embarassed

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by wiggy Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:29 pm

MMMMMMMM the bottom two pics scratch scratch scratch spot the difference lol!
all white no need to cry everything will be all right drivin
wiggy
wiggy
2.0 TFSI - 200ps!

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:08 am

After doing lots of this:

It now looks like this:

Complete cage removed together with front and rear ends.

Just got to take the steering rack off together with an engine mount bracket and a few other bits and bobs, and can then get shut of whats left.

Once i've done that i can mock the cage up and tidy it up a little ready to be fitted into the blue one.

Plan's slowly coming together Wink

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettadan Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:09 pm

Couple of little vids of the Jetta on track....... drivin

5th Gear:

4th & 5th gear:

Roll-on the six speed box Very Happy

jettadan
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by dubbed_up_daz Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:16 pm

lolling at the convertible jetta haha,so have you scrapped that shell or is it a crazy plan?

dubbed_up_daz
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next