Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a new Project

3 posters

Go down

Looking for a new Project Empty Looking for a new Project

Post by jaybv6 Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:02 am

Hi all, just thought I'd say hello. Found the site whilst looking for a candidate for my next track day project.

I've owned a variety of cars and have recently joined the Dub scene with a Mk2 Golf GTi track car and a Mk4 GTTDi 150. The Mk2 has gone, to make way for a new baby (literally) but I'm already looking for the next track day weapon. As the Mk2 Golf tended to kick it's rear wheels up in the corner I was looking for something else, maybe with a boot to keep the rear end down. The only logical choice would be a Jetta or even a Vento which I could strip out and do some work to.

Being a fan of the 150 PD engine I'd drop that in to the next project and remap to 220bhp to give the desired ooomph for the track.

I'd be interested if anyone has done this with their Jetta/Vento particularly for the track.

jaybv6

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Back to top Go down

Looking for a new Project Empty Re: Looking for a new Project

Post by Andrew Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:28 am

Hello and welcome.

Having done some track work in a 190hp Fabia vRS I can safely say the PD engine is not the best choice for track work. Fast it was but it was geared all wrong for the job and the weight over the front is hard to get rid of!

I am pretty sure I read removing the rear antiroll bar will irradiate any 3 wheel action in the bend's.

Andrew
Admin

Number of posts : 1072
Registration date : 2007-05-08

http://www.vpcuk.org

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybv6 Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:55 am

Andrew, thanks for your comments. When you say geared wrong, in what sense? Was the 6 speed box fitted to the fabia? I know driving a diesel takes some getting used to but from pushing my current PD150 to the limit on a "private" section of road I found that if there is enough torque then there shouldn't be a nee for constant gearing.

The other option is to fit a 1.8T instead, but this means higher fuel bills, which I was trying to avoid.

jaybv6

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:58 pm

The fabia was 6 speed.

Try a 'sorted' MK2 16v and you will see what I mean.

And my fabia did 20mpg at most on a track! Get a cheap car with cheap parts is a cheap way to run a track car.

Andrew
Admin

Number of posts : 1072
Registration date : 2007-05-08

http://www.vpcuk.org

Back to top Go down

Post by jason b Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:46 am

hello fellor my first time on this site too,you want a new project eh i have a e reg jetta gti thats rally preped standard engine with a 020 gear box but everything else is uprated if your intrested mial me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or if you know anyone that want it let me know

jason b

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down