Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My project Jetta GTi

4 posters

Go down

My project Jetta GTi Empty My project Jetta GTi

Post by garnetteyes Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:19 pm

Here she is...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A little post to show what me and Jetta haver been doing over the last few days.

I noticed play in the N/S wheel and so I decided the bearing needed to be changed.

I was pretty impressed with the state of the serviceable parts like the track-rod end, the ball joint and the CV gaiter. I intended to remove the whole strut by undoing the nut at the top of the macpherson strut, for this you need a special tool, or a homemade one like here...

Strut top

I welded a 22mm socket onto an old ring spanner, this allows me to put a 6mm hex fitting on a ratchet through the hole in the socket.

My magic tool

Unfortunately for me the hex fitting rounded off it was so tight and I was forced to remove the hub lower down, meaning I could potentially mess up the camber angle. I decided to mark the position of the camber by spraying primer onto the area, that way where there was no primer I could see the nuts had been.

While everything was off I noticed the front brakes were completely dead, the rear of the pads had absolutely no pad left and the discs were knackered.

I went to GSF and bought a full new set, I got the Brembo brakes and the Pagid pads as the cost difference was negligible and the Brembo discs are OE.

New discs fitted on the O/S

The other main issue I had was not being able to get 1st. I dismantled the gearshift mechanisms and cleaned everything.

I bought a repair kit from GSF to change all of the bushes, and a weighted MK3 shift rod from my local breakers. I also came accross this...

Someone made a 'ball' by wrapping insulation tape around a piece of pipe. I replaced it with one of these, again from the trusted GSF

I had to reset the neutral position using my cassette and an old screwdriver that seem to always lodge everything in place perfectly. Now it is all working perfectly

garnetteyes
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

My project Jetta GTi Empty Re: My project Jetta GTi

Post by Foolish Boy Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:28 pm

Looks like a tidy motor. I assume it's an 8v valve? Should a good number of GTi's for a club stand at next years shows.
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 476
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:53 pm

As if someone did that with Tape lol!

just had all my gearbox linkages replaced, cost about £88 so youve saved yourself enough cash their.

i probably could have done it myself, but i really didnt fancy it so let someone else have the plesure lol

car looks sweet tho mate!
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Barnesie Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Looks a good car mate, been meaning to do my gear linkages for a while now, but i'm used to them and it's one of those things i keep putting off. Maybe in the summer...
Barnesie
Barnesie

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by garnetteyes Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:21 am

I was lucky I didn't have to do the ball and housing under the stick, that's a hard job. I had to do that twice on my golf.

The car is an 8v, and since I bought it I've been mighty impressed with the condition. It has the original mats, they aren't in the best condition though. It also has loads and loads of service history.

garnetteyes
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down