Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help deciding what jetta to get! driver,gl,tx,td,cl,lx?

4 posters

Go down

Need help deciding what jetta to get! driver,gl,tx,td,cl,lx? Empty Need help deciding what jetta to get! driver,gl,tx,td,cl,lx?

Post by Otter Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:59 pm

Hello all, just thought id say hi and admit to the fact that over the past few months i seem to have fallen in like with mk2 jetta's.

Been lovin the dubs for the past few years now and have recently sold my pride and joy 89' rat caddy wich was low as f**k with some rele differnt styles.

i bought an 87' 1300 web carbed polo for £200 which is a right giggle and just a bit of fun as a stopgap before i buy something propa.

Now i wanna know what mk2 jet is best to go for? In terms of insurance i have ruled out any gti as im only 20 and it still stings a bit. i need something with a fair bit of go in it i origianally thought a 1.6 or 1.8 driver but the gl models and tx look cool.

Would love a turbodiesel but i dont know if theres many of them about and there probably not that tunable. could some one please tell me the basic specs of all models to help me decide.

this would be a great help, thanks chaps!

Otter

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Back to top Go down

Need help deciding what jetta to get! driver,gl,tx,td,cl,lx? Empty Re: Need help deciding what jetta to get! driver,gl,tx,td,cl,lx?

Post by manzi Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:46 pm

hey up! welcome.

you want a VENTO! VR6. perfectly affordable dependant on fuel prices. insurable as well as i'm only 23. Very Happy
manzi
manzi
Staff Member

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Need help deciding what jetta to get! driver,gl,tx,td,cl,lx? Empty Re: Need help deciding what jetta to get! driver,gl,tx,td,cl,lx?

Post by Otter Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:20 pm

yes mate i did consider a vento but i just love the chunky 80's styling of the mk2. just noticed theres a gx and various other models as well! ahhgh to much to choose from was it the gx taht has chrome window strips etc.?

Otter

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:32 pm

GX was the same spec as my first Mk2 Buddy bit of history on the Mk2 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] basicly they are the GTi big bumper spec (late model) with out the engine TX is the predisesor to that.

Bit more info below

cruizin

The entry-level Golf GL and Jetta GL models are powered by a 1.8-liter 4-cylinder providing 100 horsepower at 5400 rpm and 107 pound-feet of torque at 3400 rpm. Slotted above the GL models are the Jetta 4-door sedan and Golf GTI 8V 3-door hatchback, both with a slightly more potent version of the same engine, delivering 105 horsepower at 5400 rpm and 110 pound-feet of torque at 3400 rpm. Powering the flagship Jetta GLI and Golf GTI is a new 16-valve, twin-cam 2.0-liter engine. It delivers a lively 134 horsepower at 5800 rpm and 133 pound-feet of torque at 4400 rpm. Rounding out the powertrain offers are two diesel engines provided for the Jetta GL Diesel, available only as a 4-door with a 5-speed manual. The first is a 52-horsepower 1.6-liter 4-cylinder, replaced in '92 when a 59-horsepower, 1.6-liter ECOdiesel engine arrived to power the Jetta. The two engines produce 71 and 81 pound-feet of torque, respectively. All VW engines can be mated to the 5-speed manual, while the 3-speed automatic is only available with the 1.8-liter 4-cylinder.

Hope that is of some help Very Happy
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Number of posts : 2583
Registration date : 2007-03-05

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Otter Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:50 pm

thanks for all the info mate it was a great help. what do you guys think of this, is the auto box generally quite reliable?, whats it like mpg? the car has done 145k full service history and a couple of tiny rust bubbles.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Otter

Back to top Go down

Post by bettathejettayouknow Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:58 pm

Hi, I've got a 91 GL Auto Jetta & an 88 GTI jetta, the Auto is great has power steering and the box is ace! The pierburg carb can be a nightmare if the auto choke and vacuum is faulty and if you're not good on maintaining it you may wish to consider a Weber conversion love the shape too mate! Good luck worth waiting and hunting around for a good one though!

bettathejettayouknow

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Otter Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:42 am

nice! yes it already does have a manual weber carb and gti exhaust system whic is a bonus. so how quick are the auto's then in comparison with the manuals and can they be tuned /adjusted to be much quicker?

i am really interested in the jetta in the link just a bit worried about how much life the auto box will have in it at 145k?

say if i got that jetta for £500 do you think it would be a good deal?

Otter

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:36 am

Got to be said ive not driven the auto box box so im at a bit if a loss there i mean it sounds like a good car
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Number of posts : 2583
Registration date : 2007-03-05

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down