Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

olethalb's white R-line bora - schmidts + air ride fitted.

+21
Mrs Olive
Tim
steady2309
jedi16v
glbootboy
Andrew
Dirtydubber
welderone
vardo
venturbo
alpine
popeye
Onos
FUNK JUNKIES
fuddyboi
07jettamk5
wiggy
veedal
samthejettaman
Reaver 'Ant'
olethalb
25 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

olethalb's white R-line bora - schmidts + air ride fitted. - Page 5 Empty Re: olethalb's white R-line bora - schmidts + air ride fitted.

Post by Mrs Olive Tue May 04, 2010 10:25 am

This is such a fantastic car, even nicer in the flesh.
Keep up the good work Olly, can't wait to see it back on the road Very Happy Cool
Mrs Olive
Mrs Olive
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

olethalb's white R-line bora - schmidts + air ride fitted. - Page 5 Empty Re: olethalb's white R-line bora - schmidts + air ride fitted.

Post by olethalb Wed May 05, 2010 9:56 am

thank you Mrs Olive - you're too kind.
olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Olive Thu May 06, 2010 2:30 pm

olethalb wrote:thank you Mrs Olive - you're too kind.

It's a pleasure watching this thread tho, the time and effort really shows.
It's okay for you blokes that know what you're doing under a bonnet, you get the satisfaction of seeing all your hard work complete.

Us ladies need to become mechanics too!!! affraid lol!
Mrs Olive
Mrs Olive
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Thu May 06, 2010 2:35 pm

why thank you - i went out with a girl mechanic before who worked for porsche!
olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Olive Thu May 06, 2010 2:44 pm

Hhhhhmmmmmm maybe that should be my new hobby and then i wouldn't have to rely on my beloved Popeye to do all the work for my ideas on my Polo!! Laughing
Mrs Olive
Mrs Olive
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Thu May 06, 2010 7:16 pm

i'm sure you help in your own way Smile

no progress, it's pretty much all money and waiting for parts at the moment.

ordered a variety of double eared O clips to replace the jubilee clips, only because they look neater.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

my heatwrap came through today so wrapped my DP

went to the motor factors and picked up a couple of metres of fuel line and using my new clips fitted it to the clip on parts for the hard lines

olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by 07jettamk5 Thu May 06, 2010 11:06 pm

Could you go to Mexico and show them how to build a Jetta right for all us MKV guys....lol

You should make one long GIF file of every picture in this thread and show the car miraculously coming back to life! cheers lol!
07jettamk5
07jettamk5
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Fri May 07, 2010 4:15 pm

haha thanks bud, sound like an idea...

as i mentioned earlier in the thread part of the reason i removed my lump was because of the gearbox swap and my k04 was getting smokey. i'd put some funds away and sent off a spare dead unit i got off James (j33grn) that was bought from audi new and died after a very short time due to a knackered oil line.

i wanted to make sure i could send it off without getting the 'your housings cracked, you need a new one' call from the recon company as i suspected my old k04 probably was.

here's what the unit i got off James looked like before i sent it off

knackered impeller due to the bearings dying through oil starvation

box delivered today

new tubby

k06 billet compressor wheel

turbo spec;

Standard Turbine housing machined internally
K04 Turbine wheel (RS6 Type) 50mm Inducer 44.5mm Exducer.
Uprated large pad 360 type thrust bearing
Stepped gap piston rings
Standard compressor cover machined larger internally
K06 (Billett aluminium Type) Compressor wheel 46mm Inducer 61mm Exducer
i'm not expecting massive gains at all, i just thought while i was having a recon it wasn't much more for hybrid so went for that.

the company say it's rated to 330bhp but i think realistically 290bhp would be optimistic.

also ordered a couple of tins of black thanks to a link from Dele - going to shoot down the shed and test out the finish on some scrap metal.

olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Sun May 09, 2010 7:08 pm

after doing everyone else's cars all weekend i finally got a chance to test out the wrinkle finish paint. i thought i'd go for something small so went for my TB as i had to get rid off the white paint. once it was bare metal again i applied thtree coats as instucted and it seems to have worked well.

i think it looks quite good and is what i was aiming for.
olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Tue May 11, 2010 8:49 pm

got my new coupling pipe in 76mm to link my 3" maf to the new carbonio and a small pack of pipe clips to secure a pipe that has been bothering me.

fitted to the maf / carbonio

painted my spare starter for the 6 speed with the wrinkle paint but it was still wet and hadn't had a chance to wrinkle much yet

also painted my cold side custom steel pipe in wrinkle but that's still drying / wrinkling.

the best bit of the day is the legend that is lil_sham dropped the 6 speed box / shafts / gear linkage and flywheel off to me so i can get that bolted up to block soon.
olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Tue May 11, 2010 10:12 pm

I feel i cant say this enough but top tread still watching with interest. Love the wrinkle paint.
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.dirtydubs.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Wed May 12, 2010 6:46 pm

thanks Dirtydubber, glad you're enjoying the read / progress Very Happy

i took the day off work as i had to do alot of running around, mainly to collect my merc rims from the polisher so they can be sold on to raise some much needed funds.

from there i went to pay my engineer mate a visit, he'd milled down my brake caliper spacers to perfect size

and shortened my custom ally crank case breather outlet

then onto pirtek to pick up somke pipes, got 1m of 8mm high pressure rubber hose, 3m 0f 8mm braided hose, 1m of 19mm oil breather hose and 1m of 19mm braided breather hose

i fitted up the spacers for the calipers

and got a better pic of the starter

also a pic of the six speed box just because

olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Thu May 13, 2010 7:20 pm

after work i did a little job that has been on the list since i put the lupo P/S tank in, i'd decided i wanted to run the pipe a different route and now i'd got my pipe from Pirtek i could make a start.

i'd decided i wanted to run it through a hole in the chassis leg to the rack, so i picked a pre formed hole near the rack to run the pipe, unfortunately it was double skinned

so after i'd drilled it at the best angle i could manage it looked like this

i test fitted the pipe and it was pretty spot on

so i hoovered the shavings from the drill, took the burrs off the edges and put a bit of paint on it

while that dried i refitted the subframe and went and got a suitable grommet

now i could fit the pipe in place, unfortunately my banjo union did not arrive from Pirtek today so couldn't complete installation.

i just got a phone call saying i could go and collect some parts i'd been waiting on, i've been making an effort to reduce the amount of joins in my boost path so i ordered some ally bends from viper, cut to size and sleeved them over my old couplings and dropped them into be welded.

he'd also given my other bit of treatment but forgot to put the bead on the end (something about rushing prodrive's work through) so he took it back in.
olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Fri May 14, 2010 6:23 pm

got home from work today hoping a couple of parcels had arrived during the day but unfortunately not, it looked like i was getting nothing done today so i took my gearbox down to the shed to start cleaning.

i'd just got down there and i got a call saying my other pipe was now ready for collection, so i popped over and collected it, i must say i'm happy how it's turned out,

he replaced the silicon bend and ally joiner pipe with stainless and TIG welded it together

olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Sun May 16, 2010 7:08 pm

nothing done at the weekend as usual, was busy saturday and was at Dubs at the park meet today before it rained

i did manage to go and collect my steering wheel that should have been posted out to me last week but he refunded postage and went and picked it up. it was raining fairly bad but i still had to fit it.

quick pic of the wheel (with rain drops on it) incase you'd never seen an R32 wheel before....

old sport wheel

and the new one

olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Sun May 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Nice the devils in the detail.
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.dirtydubs.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Tue May 18, 2010 8:57 pm

thanks bud, i just love the chunkier feel.

no progress, waiting on parts and money now before i can get going again. just a few pics of the intercooler refitted to the front panel

olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Mon May 24, 2010 7:39 am

still no real progress of late, still waiting on parts and moneys to buy more parts but today i took a trip to the scrappy to pick up a punto bonnet so i thought i'd have a browse around the vw section. there i saw an immaculate black bora which was complete as it'd only just arrived. it had Y REG written on the side in yellow wax but on closer inspection (a parking permit) was a 52 reg so i got a few goodies.

pair of aero wipers, pair of ally bootlid struts and an ally bonnet lifter. also i noticed a mk5 tdi golf which still had the interior so a few mins later had these out

i managed to sweet talk my mate at the scrappy, he wanted £40 for the bonnet and a tenner for the rest! so i came home, fitted the punto bonnet - then popped to my mates and fitted a clutch to an octavia tdi.

once that was done i came home and fitted my struts

then my needles

olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Tue May 25, 2010 7:29 am

yesterday i went to my mate Pete's to collect my stainless heatshield for the bulkhead.

i gave him a cardboard cut out of the shape i wanted him to make into a stainless shield, even got my protractor out to make sure the creases were bent to the correct angle.

well i got it and the size and shape are all spot on but due to a mis communication the front and rear faces got mixed up so the pretty side is on the back, i'd planned to have it mirror polished anyway so it's worked out fine.

tried to hold it in place and get some pics

then gave up and taped it

olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Thu May 27, 2010 9:16 pm

hardly progress, i still need a few parts before i can get cracking - my mate the polisher is on holiday so i'll have to wait for him to return before i can get the heat shield polished, that means i can't refit the engine until i have the shield back from the polishers

had a few other bits to sort tonight so set about sorting mounting points for the heat shield, i knocked up the first bracket from a spliced piece of 2" box section - cut, folded, welded and nuts welded on the back

once that was the right size and shape i gave it a squirt of gloss black and welded it onto the bulkhead in position

i need to sort the top brackets now then wait for the polisher to come back off holiday
olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 am

hadn't noticed tese last few posts - right bank holiday went like this;

saturday;

mk4 golf topmounts, bearings and uprated arb fitted

mk4 golf bumpstop removal / trimming and chassis notch

mk5 polo service, lambda and front hub / brakes upgrade

mk3 golf vr6 rear wheel bearings

sunday;

mk4 golf v6 4mo clutch master cylinder fitted and pressure bleed.

citroen ax (with 106 gti engine) gearbox fitted

peugeot 306 converible rad fitted

polo g40 remove alarm system and rewire

monday;

volvo s70 20v turbo remove engine, box, subframe etc build ancillaries onto new block and refit

tuesday; day off!

wednesday;

megane 19dci head gasket and remove broken glow plugs from head

thursday;

mk1 golf 1.3 remove engine

mk3 polo 1.3 remove engine

mk1 golf fit polo engine into mk1 golf and convert golf to injection with full loom, fuel lines and fuel pumps with 5 speed conversion.

so you'll have to excuse me for the lack of bora updates [:DD]

the main reason i've been working my balls of is;

I'VE JUST ORDERED MY NEW WHEELS!!! Smile
olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:17 pm

come on bud thirsty for updates bounce
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by olethalb Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:07 pm

sorry bud, been v. busy - hows this?

got a couple of pics of the cat back stainless exhaust i got for as much as it cost me to make my existing one - if i told you how much that was you'd laugh!!

also went and picked up my inlet that i had, had a threaded adaptor welded on in place of the servo vac outlet and had it vapour blasted

i had a thread helecoiled in my 6 speed box, so i got the bell housing back tonight and rebuilt the box and gave it a lick of paint.

and a little pic of the wheels i've ordered

olethalb
olethalb
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by popeye Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:27 pm

i wish i had the same motivation.
it's coming up to 12 months since my bora has been off the road with a blown turbo. pale
loving the progress your making, keep it up. Cool Cool Very Happy
popeye
popeye
Staff Member

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2008-03-09

http://ron.bremner@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Thats a serious set of rims bud, out of interest what are you gonna be doing with your old exhaust Question
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next