Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Jetta Gti VRSc - Charging ahead

+14
t-jett
popeye
PAB
venturbo
Mexican
wiggy
disco
Reaver 'Ant'
riffy99
steveb
veedal
Stu G
Andrew
Foolish Boy
18 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

My Jetta Gti VRSc - Charging ahead - Page 2 Empty Re: My Jetta Gti VRSc - Charging ahead

Post by steveb Sat May 24, 2008 9:21 pm

sorry no headliner is white unfortunately and no sunroof.

ill let you know what happens its my brothers car so will have to see if he stripps it, i dit look at that old bonnet i have for you but it was the wrong colour white like a darker cream one.

ill see what carpets it has or if i can find my old one, my shed is due a real good tidy soon lol
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

My Jetta Gti VRSc - Charging ahead - Page 2 Empty Re: My Jetta Gti VRSc - Charging ahead

Post by Foolish Boy Sat May 24, 2008 11:04 pm

Cool, i've still to identify which shade of white the car is. The VIN says Alpine white but when I did a bit of paint on a rear arch its much creamier. The previous chump (owner) must of had it painted (badly) in a non standard colour. Yhe only way is a full respray but I find it difficult to part with my cash for things that don't make me go faster.
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 476
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sat May 24, 2008 11:58 pm

saying that is probably the same colour as my old 16v i.e. my bonnet, far creamier than my alpine white tx, what does you paint code say?
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Foolish Boy Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:15 pm

After the recent running issues with the 16v, the poor Jetta now looks like this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The pressure is on to get things sorted for Ed38.
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mexican Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:23 pm

Dude, what u throwin in there?
Mexican
Mexican
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Foolish Boy Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:43 pm

Got a spare VR setup in the garage, just need a few little things - ie subframe & coolant hoses. Though i'd give it a try, if the handling is ok i'll pop on a blower, if not look for a 24v lump.
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by venturbo Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:54 pm

Good to see things moving forward Jay.

venturbo
2.0 TFSI - 200ps!

Number of posts : 961
Registration date : 2007-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Foolish Boy Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:04 pm

Mini update. Collected some vital VR conversion parts today, think I need abit of a tidy before I do anything though.

Got a complete Mk3 subframe, slam panel with intergral rad and fans.

Also picked up a set of Eibach ARB's, cheers Trampy, top man.

Also had this for a while to fit, should seriously help the engine response across the range, especially the bottom end.

Comparison.

Standard.

Lightened.

Has a tasty Sach clutch fitted also.

Tomorrow i'm picking up my 9x16" Borbet A's and some bits from Mr SteveB. Next weekend I can begin in earnest.
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mexican Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:14 pm

lookin forward to seein the new kicks!
Mexican
Mexican
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by wiggy Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:47 pm

Hi i'm looking for a rear bumper(big) do u want to sell yours Question
wiggy
wiggy
2.0 TFSI - 200ps!

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Foolish Boy Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:48 pm

Alas it would leave me with no rear protection Shocked sorry.

Today's update,

Dash out.

Nightmare wiring time.

Empty bay, ready for a clean.

9x16"s, in for a reburb next week. Polished dishes and coloured coded centres. Widetrack + 9"s = mega stance, just need to drop in the VR now to lower the ride height.
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by PAB Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:12 am

WOW! I known that dash out wiring pain.... i'm with you in spirit! Keep up the good work, lookin good.

Do you still have the Stil Auto Sigmas? if so what are the specs? Offset, stud pattern, Diameter...... How much if you were to sell them.
PAB
PAB
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:24 pm

My god Jay buddy your really goin for it!! Im lookin forward to the ongoin project

Last edited by Reaver on Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Number of posts : 2583
Registration date : 2007-03-05

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by popeye Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:31 pm

ouch affraid affraid
popeye
popeye
Staff Member

Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2008-03-09

http://ron.bremner@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:33 pm

i remember that clump of wires, when i put in my mk3 dash i had to cut off all the ends and solder on the mk3 connectors! lol took me a while!

good luck mate, sure it will be great
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Foolish Boy Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:55 pm

Saturday update,

Steering column and pedal box out. Wiring tidied, should be a neat package under the dash when i'm done.

Stumbled across my bag of alarm bits too so while the dash is out i'll fit a Toad AI606 CAT1 with tilt sensor, glass break and pager options, and a Clifford Virtukey immobilser. I don't wan't the pikeys having her away!

Dropped the subframe and got all the parts ready for the new assy.

Tomorrow i'll assemble the subframe, looking to give the bay a coat of Alpine too. There's a guy local with a 2.9VR I might buy instead of the 2.8.
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by t-jett Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Hi Jay, My motor is now looking much the same as yours. Just wondered if you fancied coming round mine and putting that vr lump in my car instead of yours. lol! lol!

Thanks for the suggestion about the 2lt conversion, all joking aside still looking to do that and just wondered if you had ever done that before or are you just leaping straight to a vr?

While my engine is out thought I would tidy the wires as well and smooth of some of the engine bay. Gonna try and make as much disapear as I can. Wink

Best of luck. Bet your finished before me.
t-jett
t-jett
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Foolish Boy Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:18 am

Well i'm aiming to be at ed38 in her so i've got 4 weekends left. Exclamation weather/girlfriend permiting.

This will be the third engine she's had in a year of ownership, now everything is out is much less daunting I find than trying to work around everything.

Meant to say that, for what it would cost to get the 2l block blueprinted, i'd go for a different engine completely. I still reckon, if I ever do a 16v again it would be ABF. Realistically, two people and a complete donor car could have the swap done in a weekend. Saying that, people can't give VR's away now, I see them making a bit of a comeback.

I'm starting with the 2.8 i've got, but if the right 2.9 comes alone i'm having it for a big power turbo engine.
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by t-jett Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:25 am

Cheers for the advice. Hope to see you at ed38. Race to get it done now. I think casue of time and money I'll stick to the 2lt 8v lump, put new rings and bearings in it but not bother having it blueprinted, (opinion varies on if this is necessary or not). I will have about 1 week to get it done if the kids behave. Hope to do a nice tidy job so won't just rush it, if its done its done. Good luck with yours.
t-jett
t-jett
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:59 pm

i dont even knwo what blue printing means :S
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Foolish Boy Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:05 pm

Basically its taking the engine back to DRG, as close to spec as possible within tolerances. Just because tools wear and different parts can end up with favourable or unfavourable tolerance stack up. Generally thats the reason behind 'Good' or 'Bad' engines, despite them being the same on paper.
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

My Jetta Gti VRSc - Charging ahead - Page 2 Empty 4 days to go!

Post by Foolish Boy Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:15 pm

Well what feels like a lifetime cleaning, i've entered the final furlong with the aspiration still firm to roll up at edition on Friday eve.

With the week off work, i'm resisting the temptation to go lager mad and get up early to crack on.

Subframe assembled,

Nice empty clean painted bay,

And finally, the two brought together,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].

By tomorrow I need the wiring in place, pedal box and steering column in and VR timing chains done, ready to reassemble Thursday.
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by manzi Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 pm

well done mate. i see you've been nabbin parts from mk2vr6.com lol

i've been on there as well, got informed that someone is breaking a vento.
manzi
manzi
Staff Member

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:53 pm

looks sweet mate good luck with it i too have this week off, concentrating mostly on stereo tho lol
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Foolish Boy Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:00 pm

manzi wrote:well done mate. i see you've been nabbin parts from mk2vr6.com lol

i've been on there as well, got informed that someone is breaking a vento.

Cheers. Its a good resource the VR forums, lots of good knowledge and parts cheers

steve b wrote: looks sweet mate good luck with it i too have this week off, concentrating mostly on stereo tho lol

Great minds and all that. I'll bring a deeeeerty DnB disc to check it out. System is next on the list, picking up a bank of JL Audio amps from 38 to get things moving.

Have you got the minter dropped yet?
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next