Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Its the long awaited.... Dirtydubbers resto corner....

+3
maccadub
manzi
Dirtydubber
7 posters

Go down

Its the long awaited.... Dirtydubbers resto corner.... Empty Its the long awaited.... Dirtydubbers resto corner....

Post by Dirtydubber Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Well i will start with my daily driver its not booted but it serves me well as a work horse!! Hope you like?

I will start with how i got her so you can see the change for yourselves.
The car is a 1800 GL 1988 model with power steering, tinted glass, central locking, sunroof and electric windows front and rear all from the factory!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

She only cost 70 squid so you cant expect much Laughing

The bodywork was tatty but solid. It had seen the bottom of a tin of UPOL easy sand a few time lol..
The engine spluttered but still ran. How? god only knows half of it was missing scratch

The interior was a bit of a surprise??? The previous owner had retro fitted what i think is a 90's spec Mk2 golf campaine interior? If theres anyone out there that can confirm this that would be cool!!

Anyway enough of all that I thought it would be great to take the old girl to BVF this year so the work started. (with only three weeks till the show oops but luckily i have a good friend and business partner to help me out)

The only way to start a resto is a full strip down internally and externally!

To cut to the chase here is how she stands today. Its had a few choices of wheels on it already but thats always the way. The current choice is not staying for long.... in my diffence they were cheep only £120 and they were only two weeks old!

I Know its not booted but i would still like to know what you guys think.
I will do another topic soon on my jettas i promise Laughing .
If anyone wants me to do a resto topic on engine rebuilds just let me know as this is still a carb fed 1800 so might help a few people out with there day to day running problems.
Thanks for taking the time to oggle my post hope it didnt bore to much lol!
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.dirtydubs.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Its the long awaited.... Dirtydubbers resto corner.... Empty Re: Its the long awaited.... Dirtydubbers resto corner....

Post by manzi Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 pm

a very clean example mate.

i've always thought big bumper kits look better but you've simply changed my mind. Very Happy

more i flick through the various stages of your work, the more i love it.
manzi
manzi
Staff Member

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Its the long awaited.... Dirtydubbers resto corner.... Empty Re: Its the long awaited.... Dirtydubbers resto corner....

Post by Dirtydubber Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:42 am

Thanks for that it makes it all worth while when you get the compliments Very Happy.
I will pop some pics of the interior and engine on at some point.
What makes this car really good is that its an auto so its lazy to drive but most importantly it tows on the A BAR really well and also top it all off the hole build has only cost me about £500 so far!!!!! Get in cheers
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by maccadub Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:23 pm

Nice car man.. Looks exactly like mine haha except i have diff. wheels. I need to get some chrome window surrounds and small bumpers after seeing that!!

maccadub
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by tangodave Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:22 pm

likin the car m8 its real sweet
tangodave
tangodave
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr T Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Looks awsome!

Mr T
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:36 pm

Cheers again guys. The chrome bits are my favourite it took ages to find one like this thats why i had to start with a bit of a dog. I dont know what it is about a really run down dub but it seems to make the project even more rewarding. geek
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Foolish Boy Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:43 pm

Where have all the pics gone?

Noticed a set of Stroseks earlier though, there are one of my most favourite wheels, if they did them in an 8". I've got a set too, first refusal if you ever decide to sell please.

Tidy motor though!
Foolish Boy
Foolish Boy
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 476
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by manzi Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:06 pm

jay - i bet he's done some tidyin up on his photobucket by puttin pics in new folders. this is what happens when you shift em.
manzi
manzi
Staff Member

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:00 pm

I dont know why i have lost my pics?..... i think its because i took them off my photo bucket account oops is there anyway of getting them back?

I guess if i remove them there is no way of linking to them? I will try putting them back on.

I think that might of sorted it. I can see um so i hope you can??? scratch
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:13 pm

Not sure what to do with the strosek's yet there very straight but in real need of a refurb and i never seem to get the time i bought them off ebay about a year ago and never done anything with um.
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jettamk2 Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:37 pm

hi mate

nice motor, ive got a 1.8gl auto jetta, has pas and c/l but no lecy windows Sad

anyway just interested....what sizwe are those wheels on it in pics and how much is it lowered by? just bought some bmw mini wheels for mine and not sure how much to lower it by - was plannign coilovers tho
jettamk2
jettamk2
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:00 am

The wheels are 7.5in by 17in on a 45mm offset and the car is lowered by 55mm at the front and 40mm at the back with no body mods. But because its an auto a normal aftermarket kit wouldnt work so i used a set of boge turbo gas shocks for a Mk3 golf VR6 and springs for a Mk2 16valve gti. Then put bonrath lowering top cups on the front. The reasone for all this faffing about is the auto is a very heavy car dew to the gearbox weight so if i was to do it again a would probably go air ride. If you go coilovers you may need to buy Mk3 VR6 set as there about the right weight it just depends on how obsessed your are with ride quality really. I wanted mine to be really smooth as its a motorway cruzer most of the time.

If you need any more info just let us know im happy to help.
Plus put up some pics dude id love to see it. What a Face
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Well as its not something that happens everyday i thought i would put some pics of my daily how she is nowadays but with a twist. A very close friend of mine and fellow Vag nut rang me and told me to meet him down the local in Amberly so that i could be there for the maiden voyage of his 1908 Tasker steam engine. It took him three years to restore from the ground floor up so a big hats off to him, there was me thinking that my mk1 was oldskool! Laughing

It kind of dwarfs my humble mk2.

This is the first time the engine has seen the road in over twenty years and has been family owned from new with ed being the fifth generation owner affraid . Just thought some of you might find the pics cool?. I love it and now thats its finished ed fully intends to get back to the fold and crack on with his mk2 gti cheers

Well done mate congratulations cheers cheers cheers
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Just to embarrass the hell out of ed i thought id post this proper Dibnah moment!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry mate couldnt help myself.
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down