Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new guy doing vr6 conversion (hopefully)

+5
07jettamk5
greenb
Andrew
muttleyVR6
chrisf199
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

new guy doing vr6 conversion (hopefully) Empty new guy doing vr6 conversion (hopefully)

Post by chrisf199 Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 am

hello guys n girls my name is chris from south wales been driving vdubs for a long time now and ive finally bought a full mk3 vr6 and a mk2 jetta to do a conversion,i know a few things i need to do but im not fully clued up on everything if you know what i mean,is it just a case of just swapping engines over or am i in for a shock?????? please help, my jetta is mint and is crying for a vr6 badge on the back.
cheers
chris

chrisf199

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

new guy doing vr6 conversion (hopefully) Empty Re: new guy doing vr6 conversion (hopefully)

Post by muttleyVR6 Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:39 am

Hi Chris
you have started the right way mate by buying a whole doner car Smile
are you using the vr6 wide track or keeping it mk2?
it also depends on what year your Jetta is pre 90 spec will be a head ache.
you will also need a corrado rad and clutch master cylinder.
the only bit of modifying involved will be to notch the gear box to fit but i did this with a hacksaw and wasnt a big deal Smile
a wicked site to go on would be mk2vr6.com, they are the dogs dangly bits when it comes to the conversion and helped me out loads Smile
muttleyVR6
muttleyVR6
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-02-15

Back to top Go down

new guy doing vr6 conversion (hopefully) Empty Re: new guy doing vr6 conversion (hopefully)

Post by Andrew Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Just to echo what has been said above, I would plan every last detail before you start. You also need to consider the condition of the Jetta shell, it really needs to be in top condition and well weather protected before you begin IMO. Using the mk3 hubs for a 5 stud conversion plus easy OEM brake upgrades.

Ant has a mk2 Jetta VR6 that he did himself, i'm sure he will pipe up shortly Smile

Andrew
Admin

Number of posts : 1072
Registration date : 2007-05-08

http://www.vpcuk.org

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisf199 Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:26 pm

cheers for the info guys, call me thick but i dont know what you mean by wide track? the jetta is in mint condition on a k reg.

chrisf199

Back to top Go down

Post by greenb Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:22 pm

i belive wide track is using the whole of the mk3 on your jetta ie engine,sub frame,hubs,brakes,suspension,rear beam,i guess the track of the wheels must be wider,forgive me if im wrong.

greenb
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by muttleyVR6 Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 pm

greenb wrote:i belive wide track is using the whole of the mk3 on your jetta ie engine,sub frame,hubs,brakes,suspension,rear beam,i guess the track of the wheels must be wider,forgive me if im wrong.

yes this is right and the easiest way to do the conversion
muttleyVR6
muttleyVR6
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by 07jettamk5 Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:24 am

Welcome. cheers
I have nothing to add....lol Except...
The sound of a VR6 is a thing of beauty. drunken

07jettamk5
07jettamk5
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisf199 Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:23 pm

picked up that sweet looking white beaut today cant wait to get started now

chrisf199

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisf199 Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:07 am

please people is there any place that does a 5 stud to 4 stud adapter for my jetta coz i really want the mk2 bbs alloys on this???????? i think the mk3 bbs are bunk

chrisf199

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Welcome mate, You can use the mk3 subframe and wishbones with the later mk2 hubs to keep your 4 stud, you'd need the mk3 track rods and ends as well if so that you can set the tracking properly or if you're not too bothered about going for the wider track you can still use mk2 wishbones on a mk3 subframe, good luck with it bud
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Jedi is right i have the mk2 setup on my VR
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Number of posts : 2583
Registration date : 2007-03-05

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisf199 Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:03 am

me again sorry,
do i need to change the fuel tank? and also how hard is it to fit the mk3 dash to the mk2? cheers for your help guys

chrisf199

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:56 pm

I used the mk3 fuel tank it all seemed easier to be honest and i gave up with the mk3 dash too much fafing although there are sone cracking right ups on the net on how to do it infact theres a mk2 vr6 club on the web Smile
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisf199 Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:47 am

gents my head is full on ****ed i dont know if i should go for black or crystal lights and im stuck on what wheels to put on there,im gonna stick with the 5 stud but i just cant get my head around what look to go for scratch Question any sugestions

chrisf199

Back to top Go down

Post by venturbo Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Chris your car is your own and you should follow your path but if you want some ideas just type in Google (or other search engine) Jetta mk2 and click the images icon.
Hope that helps.

venturbo
2.0 TFSI - 200ps!

Number of posts : 961
Registration date : 2007-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisf199 Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:37 am

this vr6 has got a full stainless exhaust but i dont know where to get the rear box for the jetta(stainless)?????? i bet your getting fed up of me asking so many questions,plus if i get mk2 hubs for it do i have to get 16v or g60 disks for the vr6 brake setup? i wont ask anything else honest.......for atleast 2 or 3 days Rolling Eyes Very Happy thanks everyone

chrisf199

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:08 pm

you'll have to go the custom route for the backbox like i'm going too aftermarket ones are rare as rocking horse poo. i've just been qouted £159.00 sor supply and fit for the backbox and the middle silencer in stainless by longlife exhausts
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisf199 Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:55 am

gents the engine and loom is out of the jetta but was wondering if i have to take out all the wires you know the rear lights,heater,clock etc?

chrisf199

Back to top Go down

new guy doing vr6 conversion (hopefully) Empty late mk2 hubs?

Post by chrisf199 Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:03 am

jedi16v wrote:Welcome mate, You can use the mk3 subframe and wishbones with the later mk2 hubs to keep your 4 stud, you'd need the mk3 track rods and ends as well if so that you can set the tracking properly or if you're not too bothered about going for the wider track you can still use mk2 wishbones on a mk3 subframe, good luck with it bud
when you say later mk2 hubs do you mean any late mk2 or does it have to be gti? ive looked on ebay and there are two different sizes 90 and 100mm for the hubs and i aint got a scooby doo which are the ones i need?????

chrisf199

Back to top Go down

Post by muttleyVR6 Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:28 pm

chrisf199 wrote:gents the engine and loom is out of the jetta but was wondering if i have to take out all the wires you know the rear lights,heater,clock etc?

rear light loom stays in mate, heaters to. clocks are a different matter, are you going to stick with the mk2 clocks or put the mk3 clocks in?
muttleyVR6
muttleyVR6
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Janspeed do a stainless zorst but im not sure about matching it up we were going to get discounts but wasnt worth while when i got no feed back its worth a try though if its still avaiable
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisf199 Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:31 pm

muttleyVR6 wrote:
chrisf199 wrote:gents the engine and loom is out of the jetta but was wondering if i have to take out all the wires you know the rear lights,heater,clock etc?

rear light loom stays in mate, heaters to. clocks are a different matter, are you going to stick with the mk2 clocks or put the mk3 clocks in?
im gonna try to put the mk3 clocks in,is it a tricky job then?

chrisf199

Back to top Go down

Post by muttleyVR6 Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:21 am

chrisf199 wrote:
muttleyVR6 wrote:

im gonna try to put the mk3 clocks in,is it a tricky job then?

its not that tricky, make sure you have the loom for the clocks from the mk3 and the stalks with loom as i've heard this makes it loads easier. There i also a bit of fabrication and cutting work involved to get the clocks to fit in the dash, i personally dont like the mk3 clocks in the mk2 dash as the dash shape blocks the view to the parts of the dials No
muttleyVR6
muttleyVR6
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by greenb Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:15 pm

ive seen the dash blocking the temp gauge and petrol gauge ? looks nasty.

ive got no dials in my jetta at the mo, as im not sure what i need, what dials to use ?

do i buy an after market stack dash and mount it in the mk2 binnicle ?

greenb
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisf199 Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:41 pm

hi all ive stripped the mk3 vr6 now apart from the fuel tank and what i think is the filter just outside the tank?????mr police man came and wasnt that impressed with me doing the work on the road so it had to go,luckily i had everything apart from that,do i need it or is it ok without it?also the jetta is a k plate would the drive shafts fit the vr6??? cheers everyone

chrisf199

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next