Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me

+32
cacadoodledoo123
shinsean_jetta
1272_el_ex
07jettamk5
t-jett
dubbed_up_daz
PAB
Dirtydubber
maccadub
popeye
vwtom
theMAINman_one
Mr T
vdub_shawty
Onos
jedi16v
jon jon
Mexican
veedal
Foolish Boy
samthejettaman
venturbo
vwchaz
disco
Untitled
slammedub2007
vardo
manzi
Reaver 'Ant'
trampdrifting
Andrew
steveb
36 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me Empty MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me

Post by steveb Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:56 am

So i Picked up my third Jetta GTI 16v lastnight (apparently they are rare lol) its in much better condition than any of my previose ones so looking forward to getting it on the road.

A few of you may already know it lol its Andy Murphys old one which is also Reavers old one lol 3rd generation on this site already.

so first things first the plans:

and first of the plans is the need to do stuff:

and the first of that is, sort out the very lumpy idle, sounds like its missing but i dont think it is, could be a number of things

low fuel pressure, plugs and leads, Warm up Regulator, leaky injector, Timing Cam or dissy and possibly unregulated air getting into the manifold i.e. manifold seals are shafted / none present

hopefully its timming as the car isnt half as quick as my current jetta gti 16v which would explane that.

secondly on the way home, had a few flashes and buzzes from the low oil pressure warning buzzer, now i have a feeling the oil pump will have been replaced but hopefully reaver can confirm that ?????

so its either low oil level, or its a crap sender again if Reaver could confirm if its a vw or gsf sender ill know weather to skip it or not gsf senders are just pants. if i cant confirm either ill get it onto an oil pressure tester and maybe get the oil pump replaced with a VW one

after that it needs a new windscreen, might be able to get this out of the insurance.

next up is paint, it needs the bonnet doing, lots of chips on the bonnet, the bottom of the rear doors, there ever so slightly rusting through so would like to catch them before they go.

there is a spot of rust on the tail between badges so would get that done aswell also there is some rust under the windscreen so that will need to go and maybe the spare blank for the window wiper can come off at the same time.

could also fill in the wing areal blank but that wing doesnt need painting so probably wont bother. and finally someone has stuck and alarm type key lock dead center into the rear quater panel (of all the daft stupid places to put it!!!!) so will have to remove that somehow

also i may get the rear arches off, unless reaver can tell me he had them off and they are fine, always good to catch any issues with them early

also the handbrake needs doing and my mk4 calipers should sort that out.

finally the rear bumper, looks like its had a knock either reversed into a ballad or someones hit it, the rear bumper isnt level and with headlights on you can see a crease where whatever it was has touched it, i have a spare jetta big bumper thats pretty perfect so might swap the skins over and try to get the bumper iron jigged level.

they are the things i will defo do in the next few months.

then its on to the fun stuff.

have leather intirior to put in altho the stock intirior is really nice my leathers i think will look better. however does require welding in 2 brackets on each turret to accept the folding rear seats form the golf but i think ill have it done properly and sprayed to look OEM.

electric windows to go with the none winder leather door cards

rallye grill, might only put this on when i have found a badged rally grill tho (howeer the lights are so bright i might miss them in the winter so might be sooner than i think)

headlight relays will be fitted and fog lights wired to come on with high beam just for that extra light on the road, the loom ive made cost me £50 so far so its a good one and even does side lights lol also will hopefully not have to cut many wires so will be convertable back to stock shoudl it be needed.

have a 280mm mk3 vr6 / g60 brake setup with all braided lines to go on even have master cylinder and a few other bits, if i feel the need (was going to go on to my curent car but not now) only issue is the bbs wheels that are on might not be wide enough to fit the calipers lol might have to space them out 5mm hopefully nothing too much, also might get my Azev A's refurbished and fit them but no plans yet.

will get a boot pop soilonid and have the boot delocked, this is purely for security tho, had my boot opened by a thief in about 2 seconds on bonfire night last year so i had the lock welded over and the button filled.

probably delock the inside doors too, again security, had my stereo stolen on bonfire night, but it gave me much satisfaction to know that when he stole it he couldnt unlock the doors at all after smashing the window so had to climb in through the window over the broken glass and climb out the same way... ha!

other than that if i find a tilt and slide i might fit that, and maybe my 2.0li bottom end in the distant future and maybe some smoked topped 16v us style rear lights if i find any but in a cosmetic way leave it pretty much standard and origional - oh also might get some led indicators crystal clear ones for the fron, dunno why, i just liek them lol

i was going to lower it on my Coilevers Spax RSX but decided on my way home lastnight at least for the time being thats not going to happen (will depend on how it handels when i drive it properly) basically as it will most likely be my daily driver for now, i think the standard suspension andy put on is a much better idea, as it wont shake the car apart like mine does currently, and maybe to increas handeling i can go for a set of anti roll bars which will do the trick. also will be nice to be able to go over speed bumps lol

so thats all i can think of for now will try and get the urgent things done asap and alot of the stuff that needs swapping over needs doing soo so i can get rid of my cirrent one, my dad needs the space on the drive lol

so keep posted ill get some picks up when the weather is nice and ive claybared it, anyone who saw my last thread on cgti knows that this thread could be epicly long and updated lol!

also i would love it if reaver could detail everything done to the enigne in his posetion and maybe tell me where he got the parts so i can figure out if i wanna contact my friend at vw and get them replaced with geniune stuff

wish me luck

ps. could someone move this to the members rides when it has been updated with some pics Very Happy
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me Empty Re: MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me

Post by Andrew Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:45 am

Your plan's sounds great!

Not sure what the oil buzzer thing is though - the oil is checked regularly and it didn't do it before the new box. I only managed a short run afterwards though.

I have a couple of pics for people to familiarise themselves with the car.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Andrew
Admin

Number of posts : 1072
Registration date : 2007-05-08

http://www.vpcuk.org

Back to top Go down

MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me Empty Re: MY G Reg Jetta GTI 16v mk2.. Well new for me

Post by trampdrifting Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:37 pm

Looks Cool Cool I love the styling on the MK2, sooooooo much better looking than the golf too! I remember when i was little my uncle used to have one of these and i begged him so much to get rid of it .......... more fool me! Wish he would have kept it now! Crying or Very sad
trampdrifting
trampdrifting
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2007-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:38 pm

updated sig lol!
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:10 pm

Well what can i say im glad she went to somone in the club ill tell you all i can buddy ref

1/ secondly on the way home, had a few flashes and buzzes from the low oil pressure warning buzzer, now i have a feeling the oil pump will have been replaced but hopefully reaver can confirm that ?????

Answer: Im fairly sure the oil pump wasnt replaced in the end as we cleaned it all and she ran fine

2/ so its either low oil level, or its a crap sender again if Reaver could confirm if its a vw or gsf sender ill know weather to skip it or not gsf senders are just pants. if i cant confirm either ill get it onto an oil pressure tester and maybe get the oil pump replaced with a VW one

Answer: This would have been a GSF item if replaced

3/ also i may get the rear arches off, unless reaver can tell me he had them off and they are fine, always good to catch any issues with them early

also the handbrake needs doing and my mk4 calipers should sort that out.

finally the rear bumper, looks like its had a knock either reversed into a ballad or someones hit it, the rear bumper isnt level and with headlights on you can see a crease where whatever it was has touched it, i have a spare jetta big bumper thats pretty perfect so might swap the skins over and try to get the bumper iron jigged level.

Answer: The Arches were never removed when i had it so could be worth while and the rear bumper when i had it looked somthing like

As you can see had a rather large dent from the previous owner we did our best to push it out but hey
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Number of posts : 2583
Registration date : 2007-03-05

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:26 pm

you did a good job of pushing it out lol, i only saw the crease because my headlights emphisised it as i drove behind it when i picked it up. have a genuine rear skin which i could never find an iron for so will probably swap the skins and get the iron straightened.

will probably swap all my senders over off my car too as there all good, gsf senders are best server as paper weights. lol

what about the water pump mate? any idea if it was replaced, gsf / VW?

ive just put a brand new genuine one on my current car which i might swap over just for piece of mind.

also anyt idea what milage it was on when you did the cam belt and the rebuild?

ill make sure i get lots of pics up in the future, dont think it will change a great deal just a few tweaks Very Happy
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:33 pm

Will have to have a word with my farter in law about the water pump not sure whether we did it or not. Strange thing was i never intended to sell the car but we just didnt have the room for it and the Bora took priority look after her mate i think shes a bit of a clean classic Very Happy
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:35 pm

yeah very much so cant believe how origional she is, will be fitting all genuine parts when i can and wont rip her to pieces with tat and crap, should look very clean and tidy when done!
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:37 pm

ooh also something im going to do which ive not mentiond is get the ignition key barrel rebuilt so as its the same as all the other locks on the car, hate having more than one key especially when its only one lock lol.
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:46 pm

ok here is an update with lots more pics! lol

ok thought it was about time i showed you some pics of the new car! took a few the other day. its been outside a week or two and needs a clean but still looks good to me! lol

so here we go

From the side:

From the back:

From the Front:

From the Back:

you should be able to see all images of this car in my photo bucket album by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ok so they are the pics for now untill i get it cleaned up and looking even better.

so i thought id post up some pics of everything i need to change on it and what i plan to do, there may be quite a few lol.

so first off i wanted to change the indicators that it came with:

changed them to this today

got them from volks bits, they look great, but the build quality is shat i doubt ill keep them on, 20 secs after i switched em on they were fogging up lol plus when they arrived the were wired up backwards so they wouldnt work when plugged in, had to swap the wires arount to get them to work!

ok so first on the repair list is this really annoying key hole drilled into the rear drivers wing god knows what for, best guess is some kind of alarm

next is the rust underneath the wind screen

and the spec of rust on the rear panel.

also need to sort out the rust thats just starting to appear on under the boot seal very common on the jetta, luckily tho not structural

next up is the rear bumber, you can just see the crease here where is have been dented in the past

and as a result of that dent the bumper has moved slighly as you can see by comparing these two pics, however i have anoher genuine bumper in my garage i can replace this with, just need a bumper iron for it, or to have this bumper jigged straight

pic one drivers side gap

pic two passanger side gap

next i have to get a new windscreen because of this crack

also wan to get any old set of clocks to use to replae the front glass as this has cracked also

should be easy to swap the glass over, will also do the digital clock at the same time as its green and all other illumination is red

next im going to change the roof lining to black, have a black roof linning in the loft, will however need to find a sunroof cover and two sun visors but should hopefully not be too hard.

roof linnning is a little nasty, think there have been smokers in this car at some point as its a little yellowish

intirior is in great nick, and the seats have prety deep buckets, deaper than my gti ones, however they anrt perfect and i prefer the leather so they will be going

as will the door cards

probably end up in my current gti

also need to repair a fog lamp as the drivers side is cracked, bt i have another set in the garage somewhere so not a problem

aswell as getting a cat one fitted, doing headlight relays and fitting my stereo stuff, will need to do some re wireing in the engine bay, its been attempted before but im not perfectly happy with it so that will have to go

as will this radiator and fan setup, its a gti fan to a none gti radiator with extended arms both sides, the radiator looks like its had it anyway lol have all the needed parts in the shed

engine bay looks nice 50mm inlet already fitted the origional cover is on the bottom of the bonnet and its all pretty much unmolested to say all the work thats gone on under there

also want to replace the thin horrible scuttle cover with the newer thicker item from vw

will also be having my wheel balenced again, so i can get rid of all the weights someone has bolted to the outside of the wheels

and will get a new one of these or spray this one black etc so it looks a little nicer

on top of all that ill be fitting Electric mirrors should i body colour code them?

electric windows, would really like a new set all around really but can never find any and its £250 per window from vw... ouch

280mm brakes with help from spacers from a friend 10mm

mk4 rear calipers

baded hoses all round

hopefully if i can find any, some smoked top factory us spec rear lights

maybe chineese door handles if i feel the need lol.

my rallye grill and leathers of course

and maybe and only a small maybe my exhaust, but possibly going to have another one made thats slightly smaller.

the rest im probably going to leave as origional as possible, altho i might go for some deep dish wheels someday and a few tweaks here and there lol.

seems like alot of bad poins on the list, but most of them are only small and the rest dont really equate to what i would have to do to my current car and most of the issues you cant even tell are there unless the're pointed out.

so what do you think?
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:59 pm

ok so been looking into why the car is running really lumpy, and noticed this wasnt connected properly, when i tried to connect it the way it was hanging off, the back of it was in the way and wouldnt fit infront of the suspension turret which is why it came off in the first place.

this is the unit

this is where its supposed to fit

also when i took it out to look at it i noticed the wires on the connetor were comepletely missing, so thats a rewire job for the next few weeks

here is how its supposed to fit

you can easily see the curved hose so it avoids the suspnsion turret, bust been and ordered the two hoses from vw the curved one was £3.50 lol not worth not buying.

also just ordered a new front windscreen £70 inc VAT and knowing the guy behid the parts desk should get it for about £60 hopefully, i was going to do it through insurance after id got it on the road, but the excess would have been at least £50 ish so for the extra £10 - £20 its not worth the hassle lol

cant wait for it all to arrive now!

also already had the car in and had all new gearbox bshes and linkages fitted as the car was struggling to get in 1st gear, not sure how cured it is yet as not driven it but my dad seems to think its fine! cost me £58 :S lol.

its booked backin on wednesday for an oil pressure test jus to be sure and to have the engine timing and co level adjusted so should rn fine after that hopefully!
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by manzi Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:47 pm

Very Happy sounds like a right hand full, well its what makes it a project i guess.
manzi
manzi
Staff Member

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:26 pm

Managed to solder the connector pictured above back together on sunday, had to use a connector from my audi / mk3 looms i have lying in the shed lol but all went back together pretty well and was pleased with the soldering effort lol just waiting for the pipes now
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:00 am

Looking good Steve, can't wait to see it develop!

Andrew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:46 am

Man im so glad to here your goin down the oe route i said to andy when i sold it that i hoped hed finish the job keep us updated mate there was a time i was trying to make that car the club mascot just never had the funds to finish it Crying or Very sad
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:16 pm

cheers mate, recieved the VW window wednesday night, but still waiting on the pipe its on backorder from germany. might be months, cant start the damn thing without it either!

still hopefully at the weekend ill be able to find a piece of pipe for bodging untill the proper pipe arrives.

been on the phone to C&R as the manifold is possibly blowing so might be gettint a polished ported manifold and stainless exaust sytem, want something very oem looking tho, nothing lary or loud.

also might be getting some ARB's as i want to improove the handeling.

will keep you all updated as soon as i do more Very Happy

Last edited by on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:24 am

well the cars been in over the weekend and monday, to try to figure out why it runs so lumpily, the emmissions were off the chart when it got there, turned out the metering head was shot

swapped it from my other jetta, and instantly it ran flawlessly, managed to pic up another one for £40 from a friend so now the car seems to be running fine gears and engine, time to turn my attention to brakes and suspension, hopefully gonna order some VR6 pads for my calipers tommorrow and maybe make a start on fitting all the new calipers and maybe the new master cylinder i have. also gonna wack the rear struts off as theyre sagging and fit some i have in the shed that are solid, should make it look nice and level, and not tired

in the end had to fabricate a pipe for the missing part so i could drive the car.

got a bill of £166 from the garage :S but id have never have figured out it was the metering head so i suppose it was worth it.

also bought a brand new battery for it.

might also swap over the radiators, and if i feel up to it swap the water pumps too

also wanna get the fog lamp changed over and maybe even the headlights and slam panel have the rest of the week off, so should get quite a bit done, might start with the easy stuff tho and see how i get on with the brakes later lol

edit also could a mod move this topic to the members motors section? thanks
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:17 am

My goodness you are moving fast in getting it up to scratch - You ought to take some pics as you go when you do things and put it in the how to section Smile

Andrew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:57 pm

yesterday i took the rear struts off and did two trips to vw for parts, vr6 pads and rear pads, then a load of suspension stuff as half the washers and bits were missing. lol

here is how it started the day

you can just about see in the pic the rear is lower than the front, so i took the struts off to replace with some i have in the shed

got them off and oh dear

old strut on the bottom newer strut on the top

as you can see from this the old strut is much taller than the new one, so one of two things is going to happen

the car is gonna sit really low at the back, or the new stut even tho its smaller is going to sit higher because its harder and stronger....

its a standard 16v item so maybe the fronts are none gti height

if thats the case, might have to fit some suspension sooner than i thought. still it should be alot beter either way as what was on was really saggy, even a little weight in the back and it dropped down further, so should make it handel a little better too.

tommorrows job looks like an oil change, get the front bumper slam panel etc off and maybe swap water pumps and radiators over from both my cars. also might get the rear brakes off, but i think im ging to leave the brakes for another week as i dont want to have to take my current gi appart at the moment incase it takes me too long to put it all back together again lol plus its so low i can never get under it to get at the middle braided hoses anyway lol
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:58 pm

todays progress,

first off took the bumper off needed to do this to get at the fog lamp

then i took the radiator off its really fecked! plus its a carb model one, so its huge!

water was very brown so ran some water through it a few times

then i took off the slam panel and what goes with it

noticed the crossmember thingy was a bit rusty

so i ground it down with a wire brush attachment for my drill, then painted it with "rust Roy" which is a kind of reactive mixture which reacts with rust and turns it and steel blue which then stops it from rusting, in theory anyway. lol, then you can paint over it with hamerite, which i will do after 24 hours for the roy to cure

found this radiator with the bits that came with the car, dunno if its any good but ill give it a try

looks a little tidyer now... and messier at the same time lol

so i went in search of my other set of fog lamps and found my new non genuine bumper bought about 4 years ago by tubthumped when he borrowed my big bumper and crashed it lol

so now i have to decide weather i want to keep my genuine one, or fit the none genuine one, would be no contest if my genuine one didnt have this...

genuine

none genuine

whichever i get i will fit the fogs i bought years ago, i thought the fogs that came with my car were fine untill i compared them

cars fogs

fogs i bought years ago

the ones i bought years ago had one fot where the connector was snapped off and some iffy wiring to get it to work, luckily tho the cracked fogs coneector was a straigh swap so the other one is as good as new now woo! lol

what do you think then? im swaying toward fitting the none genuine one for now seeing what it looks like and keeping the genuine one as a spare ?

hopefully tommorrow my brake pads and suspension parts will come from vw so i can get it all back together at the back, ill paint the crossmember with black hammerite, ill take the rallye grill of my car fit the jetta front end to it take the realy loom off it and fit it into place on my new car, and if the paint dried maybe start fittin the front end backtogether on the new car, also might take the rear bumper off and swap the skins over, car will have all odd coloured bumpers for a while but hopefully not for too long, once its all on there is only the brakes to look at, but might get an mot before i look into that, then i can tax it swap my insurance which will make it easier but i think it will still be a couple of weeks

wish me luck, no doubt some more pictures tommorow

edit:forgot to add, also did an oil change today with some fresh vw oil as i was advised to as the car had been spitting out unburnt fuel when it wasnt running right, which could have mixd with the oil, so thought i may aswell, so another thing to cross off my list!
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:44 am

God what a task!

The suspension is interesting though, so the new shocks I had fitted were not 16v one's, is that right? The back I tried to do myself and failed so took it to John Noble Motorsport - so either they lost all the bits or they weren't there to start off with?

Either way, the on going report is fascinating!

Andrew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:38 pm

looks that way andy, eithr that or they are gti 8v ones not sure if they were as low as the 16v, and the rear socks were shat anyway so i dont know if you bought these new?

ive fitted bose turbos which i believe are stock 16v one to the rear, might look into how much they are for the front if it looks too daft, just got it all back on the ground and doesnt look too bad at the mo, but might sink a little when i drive it around a bit.

just popped on here to remind myself what else i have to do and to let the crossmember dry after the third coat lol.

will post up some more pics later
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:10 pm

well not a massive amount of progress today, got my suspension bits and pads form VW, so refitted the struts with the new parts, and yes the car now looks like its on stilts at the front lol!!

here they are on

and heres the crossmember sprayed up this was about the first or second coat, and put 6 on in the end, will take another pic tommrorw looks really good tho to say its just going to be covered up lol

also picked up a radiator fan loom and put my other car on ramps ready for the front end swap tommorow.

looks like im going to be driving my sisters for ka tonight lol! speed machine!
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by vardo Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:20 pm

Cool steve im loving your detailed work in progress,i always forget and do the jobs then take pics after,but yours is really interesting,GOOD JOB THAT MAN;)
vardo
vardo
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2007-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by steveb Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:06 am

well i always find that when i read threads about peoples cars i always find them way more interesting when they have a lot of pics to look through so i thought id do a thread the same.

cheers vardo, hopefully will be more tommorrow!
steveb
steveb
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum