Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dirtydubbers Resto Corner MK2 Jetta 8v GTI.

+37
Jettameister
cacadoodledoo123
willber
Robbie1885!
mart gx
jchn_smith
kai-khan
Simeon
jetta88
1984mk1
glbootboy
acsa
FUNK JUNKIES
chazmcdonald
Geeman
Mozza
rowlesy
jettamk2
Mr T
dicko120
popeye
MrBlues
G40chris
Reaver 'Ant'
fuddyboi
07jettamk5
re2
jettafan
stari23
wiggy
bodyinboot
steveb
jedi16v
venturbo
T
samthejettaman
Dirtydubber
41 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Dirtydubbers Resto Corner MK2 Jetta 8v GTI. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dirtydubbers Resto Corner MK2 Jetta 8v GTI.

Post by jettafan Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:40 pm

the attention to detail is unreal! gold brake master cylinder, that is a touch! i also like the project being under wraps at the moment too, love the work you have done so far, mint!

jettafan

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-07-07

Back to top Go down

Dirtydubbers Resto Corner MK2 Jetta 8v GTI. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dirtydubbers Resto Corner MK2 Jetta 8v GTI.

Post by Dirtydubber Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Glad you like it chap i was a bit worried about the master cylinder colour. Its not as bright in real life. I will let you see her again soon i promise just got the subframe to rework and the rest of the bay to put back together then i will let matt loose on your new engine.
cheers cheers
He cant wait to get his hands on that lump, Mind you nether can i he'll work his usual magic..... total legend!! Cool
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.dirtydubs.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Just a few little pics to wet the appetite. We FINALLY (sorry jettafan) got onto the subframe cheers

So out it came :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Then a full strip down :

The subframe its self was in very good condition indeed so only a quick grind back on a few rusty spots then on with the first coat of.... yes youve guess it acid etch primer.
Then the second coat of zinc primer.

Then a third coat of red oxcide primer.

Then finally the final coat of colour.

Sooooo shinny i loves it!!!

So over the next couple of days weve got a few new goodies to put on,

Thats just a handfull of the new stuff going on there and of course a good amount of detailing for good measure as always Wink Wink
Thanks again for your time. Be back soon with further updates.
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:38 pm

its projects like these that make me feel ashamed how little Ive done in the years Ive been doing my syncro! Bloody good job!

A word of advice, Bugpack bushes are too hard and diminish the ride quality. Powerflex are worth the extra cost. Ive had both over the years, but you cant rival the Bugpack value

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Yes i totally agree with you on that one you cant beat the price but they are oh so hard (oh suit you sir).
Im only fitting the steering rack and antiroll bar out with them the rest of the car is going standard or G60 stuff. I really cant wait to get the subframe back in now its going to look sooooo good Twisted Evil
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:50 pm

[quote="re2"]its projects like these that make me feel ashamed how little Ive done in the years Ive been doing my syncro! Bloody good job!

As my friends will agree ive got projects that have not been finished for years ive got a jetta gti valver that hasnt seen a spanner touch it since 2003! And a polo that i havent even started yet and ive owned that since 2003 also. and a scirocco gtx and a early mk2 golf gti 8v oh and a polo bread van that hasnt been touched in nearly two years so i feel your pain but to quote heinz THE BEST THINGS COME TO THOSE HOW WAIT lol.

Keep up the good work. Once youve started the only thing in sight is the end lol!
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by T Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 pm

Neat job on the brake pipes, takes me ages to make them up. My first attempt looked like someone had thrown spaghetti at the car but I'm getting better!
T
T
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:05 pm

Right at LAST the subframe is done thought it would never end!!!!

So here it was :

And here it is in bits waiting to go back in :

All in all the rebuild has consisted of =
Two new tie rods complete with ball joints.
Two new steering rack boots.
The rack has had a total strip down and rebuild with everthing detailed.
Two new lower track control arms complete with new ball joints.
New poly steering rack bushes and antiroll bar link bushes.
New antiroll bar links.
Antiroll bar detailed.
Rear left engine mount bracket detailed.

All parts used on this rebuild are genuine oe parts.

Pics of it all built up.

And finally back were it should be.

Before we fitted the hole lot back in we had a little bit of tin worm to deal with at the mounting points.

We simply got rid of the rust and did what should of been done at the factory and gave the floor a good coating of seam sealer then refitted the subframe before it had time to dry! That should stop the water from getting in there for good cheers
Oh and we cleaned the floor pan off and changed the gear shifter ball joint and box also. That should give it a like new feel to the gear changing when shes back on the road.

A 16valver heat sheld has been put in place to help with those unwanted under bonnet fires and to stop the bulk head from rusting again.

The hole lot has been copper slipped and bolted back together again with stainless steel nuts, bolts and washers and the main subframe and engine mount bolts were replaced with genuine vag items

The same was done with the track control arms new everything!!!

Sorry for the amount of pics but i love all the new stuff Very Happy Very Happy
Shame only the MOT tester will ever see it lets see him try and fail her this time ha ha Razz

Last couple of pics, whats kind of funny is jettafan hasnt even see this yet so you guys get to be the first.

Next job is rebuilding the old front hubs and calipers oh joy No
Always nice to here what everyone thinks thanks again im off to get some sleep at last!!!

Last edited by Dirtydubber on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by wiggy Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:27 pm

The more pics i see the more i want to see it in real life cyclops what a super dupper job keep the pics coming cheers cheers cheers
wiggy
wiggy
2.0 TFSI - 200ps!

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:30 pm

Cheers wiggy means alot to us here at Dirtydubs

I will post a full how to about the steering rack in the tech section as alot of people could save money by rebuilding there own plus the replacment racks you get from most motor factors are poorly made.
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:07 pm

Awesome detailing guys it will be like a new car and then some when you're finished
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:17 pm

A long day today we started on front hubs and brakes today so this is what we started with ( this shot was taken way back at the start of the project) :

Just look at this, how can i bolt that rusty pile of ...... to the nice shinny track control arm?

Well heres how first they get a bloody good clean and a de-rust. Then the piston, dust cover and seals get removed.

Then caliper gets a very high temp new skin inside and out.

Then the same for the hub (we reused the flanges and wheel bearings as they seemed to be ok).

And dust guards also got the tried and tested acid etch and vht coating.

You will have to wait to see what they look like on the car as this paint takes ages to dry and my local vw dealer cant get the caliper rebuild kits until wednesday gutted.
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:19 pm

jedi16v wrote:Awesome detailing guys it will be like a new car and then some when you're finished

Cheers jedi are idea is that we are going to try and get her as close to better than factory as possible the shell is so good it deserves it.
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:26 pm

T wrote:Neat job on the brake pipes, takes me ages to make them up. My first attempt looked like someone had thrown spaghetti at the car but I'm getting better!

I really enjoy making brake pipes (its really quite sad) but all i use is a handheld pipe bender they cost about 7/8 pounds and look a little like a large set of wire cutters well worth it makes life really easy.
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by bodyinboot Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:06 pm

enjoying this build thread alex, shame you havent had time to get your website back online, you gotta use these pics, and you'll have people queuing round the block!

bodyinboot
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Dont you worry andy my little furry friend talks are under way and the website should be back soon... Cheers for the reminder though what are you my mum! sorry about the meet the other day shame as it was the last one too. Will make a bigger effort to come up and see you next year promise plus its not my fault blame tom hes always trouble.
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:57 pm

We have had a few days now so heres whats been going on. First of all the rest of the gear linkage (not including the gear box).

Before :

And this :

To this :

Then to this :

Then all fitted, again all new bolts holding it to the steering rack and i couldnt help myself a bit of colour coding with the cup on the steering rack.

We finally got the caliper rebuild kits from VAG.

Then we could fit this little lot cheers .

Cheers to jettafan for the rest of the suspention parts.
As you can see we are doing a little upgrading here with FK coilovers and Zimmerman cross drilled disc with Green stuff pads.

This is what it all looked like fitted, again all the nuts and bolts that hold this together have been replaced, copper slipped and torqued up.

We will have a play with the ride height later so for now we have left it on the high side so the car is better to work on.
Hmmm what will it be next engine or rear beam? scratch Rolling Eyes
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by 07jettamk5 Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:43 pm

Like new again!! Nice work! cheers
07jettamk5
07jettamk5
2.0 TDI - 170ps!

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by fuddyboi Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:42 pm

im in the process or a conversion and fancy tidying the engine bay up but there 20 year of grease oil etc what did you use to clean it all off?
fuddyboi
fuddyboi
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:33 pm

This bay was repainted so we realy had to go to town on it and completely degrease it but if your not repainting then i find the best results come from the following steps :

With engine out first use WD40 and a good stiff paint brush to scrub away at all that dried on dirt and also you can "dob" at all those hard to reach areas. If you can, really load the WD40 on and leave it over night.

Next use a good engine degreaser we use Muck off mountain bike cleaner or Wynn's engine degreaser. Spray on then leave 10mins then preasure/steam clean the hole bay and floorpan and leave to dry over night. A normal garden hose just isnt strong enough.

Then finally wipe over the tuff to shift bits with GT85 not WD40 and then give the bay and floor a good coating of GT85 its PTFE based so it will dry on, stay shinny and keep the water out.

If your repainting then instead of coating the bay with GT85 you will need to wash it down with a panel wash or thinners only buy these from your local bodyshop supplier as the ones you get from B&Q or HELLFRAUDS are to harsh.

Hope thats been of help what car are you working on any pics or are you keeping it under raps Cool
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:43 pm

OH MY GOD buddy you have really gone to town on the girl ithe more i see of it the more i love it keep em coming
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Number of posts : 2583
Registration date : 2007-03-05

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by fuddyboi Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:43 pm

ha ha no, its no secret project just something i been wanting to do for a while and having minimal mechanical knowledge its a challenge. mk2 conversion ill sort out some pics for a thread iv started for advice so im not hijacking yours
fuddyboi
fuddyboi
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:26 pm

We are always on hand to give advice so please dont hesitate to ask as for hijacking the tread just pm me if you prefer im not fussed but as i said always pleased to help. The amount of time we spend on the phone during the day i some times wonder if i should just buy one of those gay london boy bluetooth ear peices Laughing but i guess i should then buy myself an M3 aswell lol!
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by fuddyboi Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:42 pm

fair play, iv added some pics to a thread i already started in the mk2 section titled vr6 conversion funnily enough, i fit the pedal box today but did think, how am i ment to mount the steering column its completely different, its from a mk3 vr6 is it a cut and shut job?
fuddyboi
fuddyboi
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by fuddyboi Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:43 pm

also ment to add thanks in my last message. all help is greatly appreciated
fuddyboi
fuddyboi
1.4 TSI - 122ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next