Jetta Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GTI Engineering Jetta GT (painted and been to some shows)

+23
Robbie1885!
cacadoodledoo123
jonsie
UberDub
Simeon
stari23
jedi16v
welderone
dicko120
venturbo
Dirtydubber
samthejettaman
jetta88
wiggy
jettamk2coupe
07jettamk5
popeye
Mexican
liam.
manzi
pipster
Reaver 'Ant'
re2
27 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

GTI Engineering Jetta GT (painted and been to some shows) - Page 6 Empty Re: GTI Engineering Jetta GT (painted and been to some shows)

Post by Dirtydubber Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:55 pm

nice choice i can understand that you have to love the K-jet its such a good motor. Very Happy
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2008-08-04

http://www.dirtydubs.co.uk

Back to top Go down

GTI Engineering Jetta GT (painted and been to some shows) - Page 6 Empty Re: GTI Engineering Jetta GT (painted and been to some shows)

Post by re2 Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:56 pm

and its the original motor for the car. Im not modifying this car at all. Ive dropped the ideas of tilt & slide sunroof and the rear headrests as they werent ever fitted to it. Got the parts sitting around still though. Its just a light restoration

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:58 pm

i also need to reiterate that all credit is due to Simons efforts ast the mo as the car is not local to me. He is like a surragate mum!

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:37 pm

they are the wrong damn sideskirts! F** a duck!!!@$*~!

now on ebay as a set btw

; )

so back to plan whateverthehellitsletterisnow!

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:25 am

i got most of my money back for the sideskirts and the went to the US in the end. Had a text today from Simon- "its alive!"

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:21 pm

I cant wait, please put some new pics up have you had the lump stripped down or is it a quick clean and refit?
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:50 pm

Excellent buddy thats great news i should think you are starting to see the light in the tunnel Smile
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Number of posts : 2583
Registration date : 2007-03-05

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:54 pm

the engines been cleaned and refitted with a few jobs done along the way. I went to see it on saturday so update pics shortly. The bonnet is painted and so is the underside of the boot, the wheel centers are also painted and so are the arch trims. Sie reckons it will mostly be white come the end of the week!!

Desperately looking for a vgc rear screen rubber if anyone has one

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:50 pm

well, an update is long overdue

I took some pics back in September and the engine bay was getting its loom put back in

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and the gearbox had had a makeover too

Since then Id managed to find a preiod correct NOS rear spoiler and most of the rest of the NOS badges I needed. The only badge I need now is a NOS or as near as I can get perfect one of these Jetta badges below

Any help finding one would be greatly appreciated!! Im all over ebay but one just hasnt popped up yet

I also visited a couple of weeks ago and the bay was all but filled with only a few little clips and bits and pieces to find

The rear panel had its central badge deleted and was just being smoothed over. The holes for the early Volkswagen script and roundall were also drilled using the 16v Jetta as a template (after this pic)

The bonnet was fully painted and the top half of the boot lid. A few other bits and peices were also all white (insert Micheal Barrymore accent??)

and Id also managed to get a spare fronnt spoiler from Germany which was in better condition than mine. The best bit is that it hadnt been painted heavily and we found that there was a Zender logo that wasnt visable on my spoiler- a nice find! Ill be using this one now instead

Simon is due a hell of a lot of credit for his work on this car!

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Simeon Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Looking good mate Smile
Simeon
Simeon
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jedi16v Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:33 pm

Top work fella Very Happy
jedi16v
jedi16v
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:10 pm

top work to Simon really

heres the latest update pics

the shell and most componants are finished in white- topcoat and grey decals to be added yet

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dirtydubber Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Looking sooooooo goooood This i really want to see when finished big thumbs up from me Very Happy .
Dirtydubber
Dirtydubber
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:33 am

I was hoping to debut this at Elsecar but it looks like ill be on a stag weekend, so im trying to blag Simon (whos painting it) and MJ to take it for me

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Simeon Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:08 am

Can't wait to see this in the flesh! Got any more pics?
Simeon
Simeon
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaver 'Ant' Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Shes really coming on now buddy we need to get all the ones we have together for a photo shoot
Reaver 'Ant'
Reaver 'Ant'
Admin

Number of posts : 2583
Registration date : 2007-03-05

http://www.JettaOwnersClub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by UberDub Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:56 am

Reaver 'Ant' wrote:Shes really coming on now buddy we need to get all the ones we have together for a photo shoot

Now that i'd LOVE to see bounce
UberDub
UberDub
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:49 pm

i was up on saturday and spent the whole day aligning the doors and then masking out the main stripe and pinstripe. ive a few pics but my home computer is poorly and i cant upload pics at work. I got a text from Simon yesterday eve telling me the stripe was on and it looked the nuts! Pics up as soon as I fix the computer. Im really getting excited to get this back! I finally got home to eat tea at half 9 at night! Mind you, it is 170 mile 3hr round trip
Im also hoping to get it to the Early ED38 show as ill be missing elsecar- fingers crossed!

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:08 pm

quite a major update!

The shell and panels are all painted white now- just the bodykit to finish. I managed to get a full day on the car a week ago as it was time to map the grey stripe and pinstripe out ready for the atlas grey paint. Excited........ hell yeah! I grabbed all my old mag features and the original sales sheet, browsed the old pics Id taken and hit the road. This was the major turning point in the whole paint job and I wanted to get my hands dirty again (the missus was away in Edinborough so the cold workshop and colourful banter were not going to get in the way this time)

Id also managed to win another set of sideskirts on ebay, and as hoped the left side one was better than I already had and the Zender logo was much clearer- unintentially I now have a whole Zender kit spare!

The first job was to get the doors on and aligned as perfectly as possible. It was the fiorst time Ive ever done this properly and its a fiddly bloody job! But oh so important as any misalignment would later be exaggerated by the dirty great big grey stripe
[Wink]

I also got to see Simons work on the interior of the boot for the first time- it almost seems a crime to put the carpet back in!

Looking more like a car again now

We started off with the lower border of the stripe as it was much easier to do and it was good to get our eyes in. Benny was also at hand so between the 3 of us, it wasnt as bad as it could have been. The green tape was used to mark the border and then the rest of the lower section was masked off of that

Simon found and roll of Go-Faster stripes that were the perfect dimensions to give the 3mm pinstrip and the 3mm gap above the main stripe. It also meant that we could do both fiddly jobs in one hit. The thick blue stripe is the upper border to mask off, and the thin blue stripe will be the gap between the pinstripe and main stripe. The lower border behind the bumpers was masked off with a thicker tape

Next came the first panel join

and then away we went along the whole side of the car- yeah I forgot to take pics of all that- whoops!

Benny cracked on and made a start with the other side after we had moved the car, and I continued to fine tune the drivers side wing, that is until i realised |id cut the tape too short and had to start again- bugger!!

After Id got my sh*t together, and had redone the main stripes, it was time to shape the end of the oinstripe. I didnt have any really good pics, and my pinstripe was a sticker in some places and paint in others. I decided to taper the pinstripe and work with the shape of the swage line. All I had on my original wing was some peeled away sticker of a pinstripe, and this just seemed a neater way opposed to it coming to a dead end. Ive done my best to accurately replicate the original, but at times interpretation of pics and ideas had to do where I lacked concrete evidence, but more of that later

And then on with the other wing

Overall we did a pretty fine job between us all and the masking flows along the sides of the car well

and onto the final piece......... the rear panel. On my panel (i wont say original because Im sure it isnt. I cant see how an '88 onwards panel gets onto an '86 car without it being replaced before I bought it, and Ive also had to replace it again)
It seemed odd that the pinstripe should end at the panel line, so we carried it right across the rear panel. My panel didnt have this feature but whos to say my panel was faithfully replicated. Judging the pics in the period magazines, it does look like there is a pinstripe on the rear panel, but its difficult to tell. I think it looks right, and Ive done my best to replicate the original. Im not saying Im correct, but ive done my best

Its difficult to know how accurate Ive got this very important feature, especially with so few cars left and detailed pics of the finer details. Hopefully Ive got it pretty accurate- bit late now as the stripes been painted since my visit and its also be clear-coated several times. I wont get to see it until its ready to collect which should be a week saturday!

I cant wait!!

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Simeon Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:56 pm

Awesome!
Simeon
Simeon
2.0 TDI - 140ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by venturbo Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Looks amazing mate, pat on the back for ya for seeing it through.
Also looking forward to seeing it in the metal sometime soon. cheers

venturbo
2.0 TFSI - 200ps!

Number of posts : 961
Registration date : 2007-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jonsie Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:49 pm

That looks amazing mate, worth the time getting it right hey. Can't wait to see it finished

jonsie
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2009-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 am

Im trying to work out a way to get up North to get some more pics but Im work-bound on saturday. I cant quite remember how ant attacked his pinstripe details, so hopefully its accurate enough to get by

Getting more excited every day like a little kid!

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by cacadoodledoo123 Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:34 pm

If you ever wanna sell that spare Zender kit of yours i'd be very interested mate Smile. I already have some NOS rear thingies, just need to sideskirts, arches, and front bumper haha Smile

cacadoodledoo123
1.6 TDI - 105ps!

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by re2 Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:07 pm

im gonna keep the kit for now as a spare just in case the worst happens. Its been such a bugger to find parts. Im sure I have an extra side skirt and wheel arch somewhere too, but the loft is a deep dark hole of parts and junk at the mo, so as soon as ive got it all together i will let you know

Just spoke to Simon today and one side of the car is on although some parts of the kit have been a bugger to line up correctly.

1 week to go!! The car transporter is booked so that will be a new experience driving one of those!

re2
1.4 TFSI - 160ps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next